Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

457 results found

1. Point of Sale

My small retail store is growing and I could use a POS option that generates Sales receipts, maintains: inventory, COGS, and checking/cash accounts.

29 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Create a Full Payroll system

need to organize the payroll so that it will be able to separate all the payroll basses on persons name without making a separate account for each p

erson and will automatically have fields for each of the tax sections that would be taken out that can be user defined like state tax1/2 local tax social security federal tax medicare tax unemployment taxes, 401k Deductions and other stuff like that

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Graphs w/o legend and dates

Hi,
    I toyed recently with the multicolumn Report and found that it can be nicely used to have many Graphs (e.g. single expense accounts over time) displayed as an overview. However, having the leveng and the timeline at the bottom of the graph strongly Limits how much you can fit where. When you go for quite small Graphs, the area is dominated by the legend and the timeline Dates.

It would be nice if all reports which Display some graph have the Option of not showing the legend and the individual Dates.

Best,
    YeOldHinnerk

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. per-book accounting periods

At the moment, all sets of books operated by the same user (under Linux, at least, no idea how it works with Windows) share the same accounting period. Changing the accounting period on one set of books changes it for all. This means that to have different sets of books with different accounting periods, one must set up different users, which is a very clunky workaround. By all means set a user-wide default, which any new book acquires, but it should then be settable on a per-book basis. This may be a more general idea that might also satisfy the…

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Improved Job Expense & Invoice Tracking

Running a service oriented business, it is imperative for me to be able to quickly and accurately tie together all expenses and payments received related to a specific job to be sure that all expenses are invoiced to the job and to determine profitability. Secondly, to be able to quickly see the status of all jobs for a specific customer. This would require being able to associate all related expenses, vendor bills, and invoices to the job. Then, a modification to the "Job Report" to show all activity for the job.

To be able to quickly see the status of…

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Display split comment if transaction comment is empty

Allow me to leave the transaction description empty, in which case the split comment would be displayed instead.

Otherwise one gets really useless lists of transaction comments in some accounts, even though there are far more useful and specific split comments available for the particular entry.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Better budgeting (based on managerial accounting)

Budgeting in GnuCash is as big, yet as essential, a project as GnuCash in the first place. Please see my rant below.

We must not confuse planning for the future and recording transactions.

GnuCash’s greatest strength is that it is built on sound accounting principles. While financial accounting is all about recording transactions that occurred in the past. Managerial accounting is all about forecasting the future. What our best estimates of future Income; Expenses; Assets; Liabilities and Equity. These forecast are then used to answer questions. One of the most critical questions being “Will I have the cash to pay…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Automatic import of qfx files

When qfx file is downloaded from Bank's website it should be possible to "open this file" using Gnucash and gnucash should automatically open import window.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. support merging two gnucash files

Merging two gnucash files, which do not have redundant information.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Depreciation schedules

It would be good to have depreciation schedules implemented. Right now we use scheduled transactions to run periodic transactions from Assets to Expense:Depreciation. However there more types of depreciation schedules in the wild and so specialized dialog/schedule is needed. It would be good to have such schedule to appear as soon as invoice containing an asset is entered so type of depreciation and effective life of an asset may be entered.

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Implement support for stock options

While fewer of us have earned stock options through our employers lately, they're a piece of my net worth which I cannot represent in GnuCash. Though an option is an option, most folks consider exercising as possible anytime, with the value being the current shares * (current price - strike price), but 0 when < 0. I don't mind doing manual entry of grants, vests, or expires. Thank you!

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. OFX Import Improvements

Show a transaction report or something when importing an OFX file. OFX import for investment accounts has a few quirks or bugs. One very frustrating thing about it is that the user can't see how the transactions were imported (what accounts, too often the wrong one). If the transaction were shown in a new tab like what is done in with 'Scheduled Transactions' then the user could see what happened & fix it. There's a click box to 'Review created transactions' when getting 'since last run' scheduled transactions, this is what I had in mind. A report would probably work…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add / change keyboard shortcut for productivity, into standard like MS Excel or alike

It would be nice to add or change current keyboard shortcut to any existing software, so user feel no difference when switching from one software to another.

For example, using Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn to switch between tabs. This has been used by MS Excel, or browser like Firefox or Chrome. In GNUCash, we use Ctrl+Alt+PgUp/PgDn, which differ in one key (Alt).

Another example in Excel, Ctrl+Home to go to top row / earliest transaction.

I guess this additional feature can give more values for user experience and productivity to GNUCash .

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Display description of the split in Basic Ledger view

There is no easy way to edit transactions for the account if they are split. Let's say my transaction is:

Shop
    - apple (account Food:Fruits)
    - orange (account Food:Fruits)
    - juice (account Food:Drinks)

When I switch to account Food:Fruits and use Transactional Journal, I can see item from account Drinks. If I switch to Basic Ledger it looks better - there are only two lines related to fruits. Unfortunately, only transaction title is displayed for them, so both lines are titled Shop.

I understand that displaying transaction title and split description for Basic Ledger is quite a big change (in…

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Better automatic online banking setup for OFX download

Most individuals don't have the time to manually enter their banking information. I had no success in connecting to a major bank (bank of america), despite reading all the help files I could find.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. auto-guess split when auto-filling transactions

So I have lots of reoccurring expenses which are often split (sometimes it is a business expense, which is split between a tax-deductible account and a non-deductible account, or a joint expense, where half of it is an expense and half a credit to an asset account representing the money owed), but while the amount may change, the percentage split doesn't. So auto-fill works great for getting the accounts I need, but once I enter the new total amount, the splits are all wrong and I have to manually adjust them. It would great to have gnucash auto-adjust the split…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. link any transaction to "the other party"

There are legal requirements to trace back who is the recepient or sender of any payment (not just invoices) with all the identification details (address, IDs...).

To rely on the "Description" filed is not sufficient (can't enter all the identification detail and isn't good for searchig).

I woud need to search for all transactions with a party disregarding it's an invoice, cash receipt or an other form of transaction (lets say off-setting payables).

So, I would suggest not to distinguish "vendors", "customers" and "employees" - and rather use table "parties" for all of them.

Then you could relate invoices (both,…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow for multiple vendors to charge to a Job

Currently if a Job is setup, only one vendor can be associated with that job. If I have something where I am purchasing from multiple vendors to complete a job, I have to create a new GL account.

It would be nice to be able to setup a job be able to assign charges to it from multiple vendors so that reports can be run on the job vs having multiple GL accounts setup to track a job.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Remember when I've hidden the scheduled transaction calendar

Every time I go into the Scheduled Transaction Editor, I hide the calendar. It takes up more than half the form, and for me it's useless. It would be wonderful if it could just remember that it had been hidden, and stay hidden, instead of coming back every time.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add an option for alternate register background colors by account type

Add an option under Edit > Preferences > Register > Graphics to use different register background colors for each of the top account types, i.e. for assets, liabilities, income, expense and possibly equity. Colors might be selected from the Pantone color chart or other non-proprietary chart. Colors should be selected to be visibly different even to persons who are color blind. This is intended to be a program option, not to be confused with the existing Use System Theme Colors option or the very obscure Style Sheet feature.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Request