Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

457 results found

1. Add Hierarchy to "Business" Records (Vendor/Customer/Employee)

I specifically need this for Vendors, but I can see how this would apply to Customers and Employees as well.

I want to keep individual Vendors separate, but at the same time be able to aggregate them for reports. For example, I want to know how much money I spend at Starbucks Store #123 and keep that separate from Starbucks Store #124. I also want to know how much I spend at Starbucks in general, so I would want stores #123 and #124 to be under Starbucks (just like how the Account list works). Each individual business has unique addresses…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Total amount of the filtered operations in status bar

When i use Filter, i got in the right column the total amount of the account. In the status bar i'd like to got the total amount of the filtered operations. Is it possible?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add support for multiple-step Income Statements

I have fully described the need in https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=765375.

I could add that I have found a workaround for representing taxes in a way that allows me to choose whether my income statement shows net income and net taxes with payroll tax deduced from both, or gross income and gross taxes with no sign of payroll tax in the report. I do this by first accumulating payroll tax as negative income, then adding special year-end transactions, and finally choosing whether to do case sensitive filtering or not when I run the Income Statement report. This method, however, does not scale…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. addition of addition columns in account form

I am happy gnucash user for last 6 years for small business. use it effectively for invoicing,tds etc. I also manage my Fixed Deposit accounts, bonds etc. It would be good to have extra columns to accomodate FD date,Maturity Date, interest rate, Interest periodicity. Now i put some of these in account code,desc,memo and run a custome report.. export to excel and use that for income tax income projection.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. When you execute a search, the new tab should be immediately adjacent to the existing tab

This both groups the tabs logically, and also improves the workflow by causing closed search results to go back immediately to what you were doing.

It's a very common workflow after a search to want to return to the page you were on when you executed the search. This may be to refine your previous search that was unsatisfactory and execute it again with new criteria, or if you got what you needed from the search, to simply continue on with what you were doing.

Instead, Gnucash currently simply dumps the search tab on the far-right, causing a closed search…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Select several items at once in any list

Allow using the shift and control keys to select multiple transactions in an account register or multiple accounts in the Account list or multiple lines in a split transaction. Then allow actions such as copy or delete on these multiple items.

61 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Enable multi-user editing

Allow multiple users, in a business to access the database at the same time so that multiple transactions can be entered or updated simultaneously, and do so with remote access capabilites like Terminal Server (Windows) or X-Term sessions (Linux/Unix) .
    This is a feature in many commercial programs and this is exactly why many business users of such programs are not using GnuCash.
    If GnuCash wants to secure donations from the business community beyond the home or individual operating as a business, this feature will make GnuCash extremely attractive to a market that routinely pays $3,000 to $5,000 for products…

310 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. About the financial calculator

Would it be possible to improve the financial calculator?
    It would be interresting to have more settings. Like in JxLIvret (http://www.cbanque.com/download/jxlivret.php)
    Thank you.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Better Budgeting

Corresponding bugzilla item: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=700802

Budgeting system similar to YNAB, "You Need A Budget". It needs to carry forward over/under spent on budget category from month to month. I cannot use GNUCASH's budget system.

280 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Hidden accounts should be hidden everywhere

Hidden accounts should be hidden from the account drop-down list in the transaction list/editor as well as in the account list

40 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Check for Updates Automatically

As most of the applications that are available today (including their updates/releases) are distributed online. So most of them have the ability to check for latest stable updates/releases.

Visiting the GnuCash website everytime or requiring to subscribe to the newsletter is not really always viable.

Thus it would be great if GnuCash gets the ability to be able to check for its Updates Automatically at Start Up or periodically (that can be customized by the user).

142 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Create a "Memorized Transaction" feature from autofill data which lists all your payees.

The autofill feature is nice, but it would be good to see a list of all your payees in one place so we could pull transactions from a specific payee, and rename misspellings,etc... Basically a list of payees that we can add or delete from which is generated off autofill...

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Support cheques/checks

Cheques are grouped into cheque books. Cheques are written, cashed or void (I made a mistake when writing it, so ripped it up). When all cheques in a book are cashed or void, that book becomes less important to me.

When cheques are written they have a created date of the date they are written (actually there could be two different dates here - the date I wrote it and the date it's for, in case I write a future-dated cheque). They have a cheque number (that relates them to other cheques in the same book), plus a description field…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add a retirement planning tool

It would be very useful to have an inbuilt retirement planning tool that would:
    -Use assets (if approved by user) in developing plan
    -allow different assumptions such as inflation rates, ROIs etc.
    -Show projected net-worth
    -Track progress against set plan
    -Allow modeling of variations to plan assumptions

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. More charting: Budget vs. Actual chart

Corresponding bugzilla item: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=700801

Similar to http://www.mint.com concerning features and graphical appeal.

194 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow the database to be secured by way of a password

Corresponding bugzilla item: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=700803

The aim is not absolute security but would prevent casual access to the information held. (Windows ACLs go some way towards this but any administrator could view the information.)
    If this would be better done by securing the files outside the application, could someone tell me how?

179 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. option to change a automatic split transaction when entering a new transaction

If i had previously entered a transaction as a split, the next time I enter the transaction it automatically comes up again as the last entered transaction. This is nice in some situations however, do not always want this feature. If have a split one time, I do not necessarily want the same split on the next entry. This seem to be the most irritable with splits, but it may apply to other straight entries as well. Can there be an option to decline the suggesting entry or possibly select a different entry other than what is automatically generated?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. I am a new adopter of GnuCash and I must say it is incredible! Thank you for developing! What I want is a future balance predictor

I have entered every bit of my financial life in to gnucash. Since most of my transactions are automated I have entered them in scheduled transactions. It is now 12/30/15. What I would like to see is some sort of feature where I could input date 1/31/16 and see what my asset and liability balances would be at that time once all of my scheduled transactions for that period ran. If you could make that, it would be awesome! Thanks.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Manually change ordering of Transactions

Corresponding bugzilla item: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=700804

It would be really helpful if GnuCash had the facility to move transactions before or after a particular transaction of the same day, i.e. to change the ordering manually by some buttons or similar. If time could be mentioned in seconds then we could do that to rearrange the transactions.
    But easier would be to have Up and Down arrows to rearrange transactions by just selecting on the arrow and clicking on up or down.
    If the moved transaction reaches the beginning or end of the set of the same day's transactions, the transaction date of…

103 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Copy an existing account to make a new account.

Copy an existing account to make a new account.

From the EDIT an account window, add ability to add a new account by modifying the fields where needed or changing the Parent Account at the bottom. Add a new button at the bottom called "Create a New Account" using the updated info from the EDIT account window.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?