Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

457 results found

1. Use a separate window for transaction edits

Use a separate window for transaction edits that is visually different from the transaction register. It could have all the existing navigation shortcuts or not, but it should be designed to clarify the differences from the register view caused by the need for the 'extra' account to complete double entry information, which defaults, of course, to the current account. Since the default account could be shown in a separate box, it would not be in the way when a new split line is added. When splits are created, extra boxes or lines appear for the additional number, action, memo, amount…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Add a report feature like Crystal Reports that allows fully custom reports to be user generated.

This would greatly increase the universe of prospective users by including all the many Non-Profit groups that do multiple projects supported by multiple donors

89 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Automate setup for reconciliation

As introduced in this thread: http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2004-November/011977.html

I see no reason reconciliation cannot utilize the already existing code used for walking users through finding duplicates in QIF imports. Reconciliation is all about finding duplicates in order to identify lone transactions.

Having gnucash import a QIF, identify likely matches, then prompt the user whether to mark Reconciled is far faster and more efficient than the current system of my printing out my bank statement and manually checking off each transaction on paper switching back and forth to the gnucash reconciliation screen to click on the matching transaction.

And the code is already…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Provide for deletion of bills and vendors

I understand this isn't trivial because of the transactional nature of gnucash and dependencies would have to be undone. I also realize it breaks auditability conventions. But I use Gnucash for personal use and I want accurate, clean records. Being human I make mistakes with creating vendors and bills all the time that I want to delete, not uncheck active and have garbage data lingering in my database forever.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. cashflow forecast with graph

Gnucash needs a robust cashflow forecast with graph, where one can select which accounts and show future cashflow for 30, 90, 180 and 360 days based on scheduled transactions (both credits and debits) that have not yet been entered. e.g. my pay comes every 2 weeks, I get some extra income in June and August that I can estimate, and I have some bills that are every month, others twice a year... I need to know when things will "pile up" requiring a transfer from higher yielding savings accounts into checking. Microsoft Money had a great forecast with a graph…

266 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Have the option to print or save a summary of the reconcile.

After a monthly reconcile it would be very helpful to have a summary statement showing the date, transaction, amount, cleared balance and register balance with the date of the reconciled statement. In this manner, if there is a question about a previous transaction it can easily be resolved.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. CSV and Other Import

Currently the CSV (and other like QIF) import dialog is very strict and gives NO facility for MAPPING of accounts to CSV columns etc.
    No info on whether to put last column in csv as expenses:OfficeExpenses or only OfficeExpenses? and then whether gnucash is configured to show
    only last of account names or fully qualified names. I tried BOTH combinations, still gnucash Fails EVERYTIME to map accounts.
    behaviour I saw was - it maps ALL the entries to one account ( like all csv rows to Office_Expenses !!!)

Then - in last import dialog, we get mapped (or…

145 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you all for the feedback.

The csv importer is currently being improved on the development branch. Several of the missing parts mentioned here are already being addressed, such as:

- ability to select transfer account
    - ability to import files exported from gnucash
    - remember account mappings for a future import

8. bitcoin

Corresponding Bugzilla item: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=690479

I suggest you support bitcoin (and namecoin) as a proper currency. I don't care if it has an ISO code or not, nor whether you can get quotes automatically.

135 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Tree View

I'm not sure if anyone else has issues with the tab interface. I do.

So my suggestion is having a "tree view" on the left that is clickable, and on the right displays the "content view".

54 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Use tax lots to dump details for US Schedule D

It seems like this is already on the Gnucash developers' radar, but I thought I would add it here as well because it could be a very useful feature.

In the United States, we have to report capital gains on individual tax returns every year --- the gain is reported (and tax paid) when the asset is sold. The tax return includes the item, quantity, purchase price, and sales revenue. Since Gnucash is already tracking lots of identical items (e.g., stocks), it should be possible to gather enough information to automatically generate the information for this tax return -- which…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Bonds are quoted as %. Please add the possibility to divide the retrived quote by 100 on some bonds.

Many European Bonds have quotation base on 100 units (%). Yahooeurope for example offers price referred to single unit for stocks and price referred to 100 units for bonds. It would be nice if the price editor would have the possibility to divide the price retrived by Finance::Quote by 100 (or some other value). Finance Quote cannot do it because it operates on a source base (es Yahooeurope) and does not know if it is a bond or a stock.
    Thank you for all your great work.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Reporting: multiple periods

Could reporting be enhanced to show multiple periods on one report (e.g. income and expenses shown monthly on one page)?

76 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Gnucash currently provides Experimental Balance and Income Statement (= Profit & Loss) reports that support displaying multiple columns.

They are still experimental because of some glitches with price calculations case of multi-currency or stock market scenarios. If you don’t have those, the experimental reports probably will give you what you need.

13. Move Estimate settings (date and significant digits) to Budget Options and remember

Button Estimate open Window "Estimate Budget Values" and these settings (date and significant digits) move to Budget Options and remember values from first set up.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Improve transaction matching

When importing QFX: does not seem to account for the check number. Matcher does not show check number detail, so if I have multiple checks with the same amount, it's really hard to match things up. Also, if I choose "U+R", it overwrites my check descriptions with generic description from the QFX. Would be nice to just update the date and perhaps amount, if needed, but leave the original description. Also does not seem to want to match to anything older than about 2 months (Someone held the check for awhile.)

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow 0 decimal places in currency

Displaying amounts without the pennies/cents/kopeks sometimes makes sense.

Some currencies (e.g. Yen/Rupee/Zimbabwe $) have a pretty low value, so the 1/100ths of it aren't used in daily transactions.
    Yet the preferences only allow 1-8 decimal places. Why 1-8?

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Split transaction when importing

GnuCash can already remember which account to use to balance the transaction when importing. I think it is remembered based on the description column. I would like GnuCash to remember if it was a split transaction and if possible the percentage to use. Quicken already does it.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Clearing

Clearing

Clearing is more than just checking an account balance. It is another way of grouping
    existing split bookings of different transactions. This is very similar to clear
    invoices against payments; which would be covered by this more general approach as well.

In gnucash two or more splits are grouped to one transaction.
    That transaction has a timestamp when it has happened.
    Clearing means to group splits of different transactions into a "clearing group".
    This "clearing group" has no timestamp.
    It just helps to find splits which are not yet "cleared".

To achieve this, each split needs one additional column:

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Hidden accounts should be hidden everywhere

Hidden accounts should be hidden from the account drop-down list in the transaction list/editor as well as in the account list

40 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Make it easier for users to work with alternative/non-ISO/private currencies.

Corresponding Bugzilla item: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=657215

As I recall reading on the GnuCash mailing list(s), developers will not include support for currencies that do not meet ISO requirements. Therefore, to use the likes of Ithaca hours or bitcoins, users have to rather inappropriately treat them as stocks, virtually exchanging them for an official currency before conducting real transactions. Either that or users must rely on the XXX placeholder currency, which has its own limitations.

I propose that GnuCash include some functionality for users to define custom currencies that behave just like regular official ones. This functionality would allow for users to point…

357 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Zero Based Budget Support

I really like this software after playing with it for a while, but as far as the budget, I'd like to have a zero based budget. Add up Income minus savings and Expences should equal zero. It would be nice to see the +/- dollar amount at the bottom of the budget tab, maybe add a end row that calc budget cells.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?