Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

457 results found

1. Simultaneous OFX download for multiple accounts

Currently GNUcash requires manual selection of the OFX download action for each account individually- even though it allows you to store the login credentials. Then the user is forced to decide what to do with the downloaded transactions immediately.

This workflow might be intuitive for personal home use (though still not convenient) where the user likely has a very small number of accounts. It is very unintuitive for businesses who might maintain a large number of accounts.

A more convenient workflow would prompt the user for how they would want to deal with unmatched transactions on download. (ex: discard, add,…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. add shortcuts for business functions

Configurable keyboard shortcuts would be great to improve speed of usage of any most used commands. (eventually as alternative to a customizable icon bar)

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Permit the start and end of an accounting period to be specified as a particular day in the month, or as a particular date within the year

Pay day for many people does not fall on the last day of the month; it would therefore be helpful when producing reports for the start and end dates to use the "pay month".

Also here in the UK, the financial year (for income tax purposes) ends on the 5th April, so the ability to specify the accounting period as running from 6th April one year through to 5th April the following year would be a benefit to those of us who have to provide income tax data to HMRC.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Implementation of scheduled online transactions

I would like to see in GnuCash the possibility of transfering money at a given date instead of immediatly, using HBCI protocol.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. transaction status "pending"

1. In addition to "n", "c" and "y" in the status indicator, I would like a "p" for pending. I understand I would have to manually mark the "pending" transactions myself. I would like for GnuCash to change "p" transactions to a "c" during a successful import match just like they change "n" transactions to "c" now.
    2. I would like to have a function that would show me a Bank-Agrees-with-Me-Balance or QuickBalance that calculates a balance by reading transactions beginning on a date I choose or since the last Reconciliation, and goes through the latest transaction. Bank-Agrees-with-Me-Balance would exclude "n" transactions…
    1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Lazy report/chart generation during startup

When one does not close report/chart tabs before exit, next start up all reports/charts are regenerated during the startup. It dramatically slows down startup.

I suggest to implement lazy report/chart generation. Meaning the report/chart is calculated when it needs to be displayed, so during startup only if it is selected tab or later when user switch to the tab with report/chart.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Improve UI reliability on Mac OS X version

I am using GnuCash 2.4.10 on Mac OS X. There are many minor UI bugs. See the list below. Yes, I will file bug reports for a few, but there are many problems.

I suggest that developers and testers allocate some time for testing the basic UI operation on the Mac OS X version, and fix 20-50 minor problems. And/or, consider if there is a weakness in the development process which lets such bugs get into the build.

OK, you will probably suggest that I do the testing, file the bug reports, then download the source, fix the bugs, and…

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. to make possibility to obtain the data from Dreamstime.com.

Function of synchronization with photobank would be interesting to photographers and studios.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Separate the price history file from the data file so multiple sets of accounts can use common history

If the price history were stored seperately to the company accounts data it would ensure integrity of price history accross different entities (ie all your entities are using the same price for a security on any given date). This wouls also mean that prices only need to be updated once (instead of once per data file). In addition the structure required for the price history databse would be far more simple, potentially allowing direct enty into the database from external programs (eg to populate price history).

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. saving

In Quicken there is the possiblitiy to tell the program that you would like to spent less money on a specific category. It would be nice GnuCash would give an alert if you spent "too much" for a specific category.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. wildcard match to assign accounts on import

The most time consuming activity for me - assigning accounts to imported transactions. Most could be automated with a smart query string match using a wildcard. Most transactions are like this:

Telco Co. Ltd {#2392Random Number58359}

and I just want it assigned it to phone every time. I would look forward to using GnuCash then.

29 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. effective date for transactions

as discussed here http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/SoC2007#.22Effective_Date.22_for_transactions
    and here http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2003-May/009125.html

it would be really useful to be able to specify an effective date for a transaction for budgeting and also reconciliation

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Easy way to connect GNU Cash to CRM Systems (SugarCRM, vTigerCRM, SplendidCRM, etc)

It should be quite easy to connect GNU Cash to CRM Systems if you know how there SQL-db layout is. Doing this would make GNU Cash so much more valuable to companies. I myself do volunteer to implement this feature. If I can get one GNU Cash developer to cooperate with me on this (as I would be required to ask questions about GNU Cash internals).

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Include mysql and postgresql support in the macosx build

The build for macos does not include support for macos and postgresql which requires the user to have to compile in these options themselves. This is a lot to ask for, please just add this support to the macosx build.

34 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Keyboard Shortcuts for Register Views

To quickly jump between Basic Ledger, Auto-Split Ledger and Transaction Journal views.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Support cheques/checks

Cheques are grouped into cheque books. Cheques are written, cashed or void (I made a mistake when writing it, so ripped it up). When all cheques in a book are cashed or void, that book becomes less important to me.

When cheques are written they have a created date of the date they are written (actually there could be two different dates here - the date I wrote it and the date it's for, in case I write a future-dated cheque). They have a cheque number (that relates them to other cheques in the same book), plus a description field…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Implement quotations which can be converted to invoices

A quotation to a customer is only a step away from an invoice, except that it is printed but not posted.

Fortunately my ignorance of programming and databases allows me to suggest that this is simple as there the invoicing code can be recycled.

When the customer okays the quotation (perhaps with alterations), the quotation can be called up and converted to an invoice and posted.

See also credit notes http://goo.gl/FR76A.

114 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Sort cash/bank journal entries in pages

That way you could have a nice overview of your transactions. E.g. You receive bankstatements per month. You could sort all entries for this month in one page. At the end of the month (or whenever you receive it) your bank statement and that page would be look-alikes, which makes it easy to reconcile (manually). I think it would also be handy for cash statements . One physical and one digital cash statement per day for example. I think it helps making auditing and doing double checks easier within less time. Don't you?

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. look up vendor addresses when printing checks

I print to many of the same vendors every month, using preprinted checks and window envelopes. I can print the check, but must fill in the address on every check. If there were a lookup of the vendor table and fill in the address, it would greatly simplify check printing. I would pay for this feature.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  4 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Prevent accidental changes by locking a fiscal period

One problem with Gnucash is that a user may accidentally change a transaction in a previous month or year. For example, it is possible to delete a transaction that should not be deleted. Also, if a user enters the wrong date in a new transaction (e.g. when typing the date, the year is wrongly entered) the transaction will enter the register in a previous period, but the user may not know where it went. Thus the accounts could be in error due to an accidentally deleted transaction or incorrectly entered transaction.

In my experience training people to use Gnucash in…

229 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Request