Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

457 results found

1. Create a unified tool for working with investments

Right now, buying or selling stocks or shares of a mutual fund is a terribly complex thing to do, requiring a split transaction. Furthermore, doing this with a 401k is even more difficult, if, say, I wanted to reallocate my investments.

I wish there were a tool to enter the necessary information (what I'm selling and for how much, and how I want to use the funds) and it would then create the transaction for me.

Even more than this, it is difficult to deal with a 401k that is only partially vested. I wish this were more easy to…

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Save all screen positions

When I click on the "reconcile" link, a window opens up centered between my two system screens. I drag it to the "active" window and close it. Next time I open the "reconcile" window the position is not remembered.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Improved Job Expense & Invoice Tracking

Running a service oriented business, it is imperative for me to be able to quickly and accurately tie together all expenses and payments received related to a specific job to be sure that all expenses are invoiced to the job and to determine profitability. Secondly, to be able to quickly see the status of all jobs for a specific customer. This would require being able to associate all related expenses, vendor bills, and invoices to the job. Then, a modification to the "Job Report" to show all activity for the job.

To be able to quickly see the status of…

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. mean variance optimizer

it would be useful to have a MVO somehow integrated for portfolio analysis.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Faster currency chooser: Navigation with drop-down boxes with TAB autocompletion

In currency drop-down box, pressing E char would go to the words beginning in E like EURO.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Autofill Feature should show a Drop Down List

When i am typing the description currently what happens is that the first matching record is auto-filled. But It would be more helpful if there was a drop down list (with vertical Scroll) with a list of similar records based on words present in them as typed.

For Example: I have the following descriptions previously entered

Amul Milk - Toned
    Amul Milk - Double Toned
    Amul Milk - Skimmed
    Mother Dairy Milk - Full Cream
    Sapan Milk - Skimmed

What happens now is that when i type "Amul" the transaction gets filled with the first match even if have to…

79 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. auto-guess split when auto-filling transactions

So I have lots of reoccurring expenses which are often split (sometimes it is a business expense, which is split between a tax-deductible account and a non-deductible account, or a joint expense, where half of it is an expense and half a credit to an asset account representing the money owed), but while the amount may change, the percentage split doesn't. So auto-fill works great for getting the accounts I need, but once I enter the new total amount, the splits are all wrong and I have to manually adjust them. It would great to have gnucash auto-adjust the split…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Check for Updates Automatically

As most of the applications that are available today (including their updates/releases) are distributed online. So most of them have the ability to check for latest stable updates/releases.

Visiting the GnuCash website everytime or requiring to subscribe to the newsletter is not really always viable.

Thus it would be great if GnuCash gets the ability to be able to check for its Updates Automatically at Start Up or periodically (that can be customized by the user).

142 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. per-book accounting periods

At the moment, all sets of books operated by the same user (under Linux, at least, no idea how it works with Windows) share the same accounting period. Changing the accounting period on one set of books changes it for all. This means that to have different sets of books with different accounting periods, one must set up different users, which is a very clunky workaround. By all means set a user-wide default, which any new book acquires, but it should then be settable on a per-book basis. This may be a more general idea that might also satisfy the…

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. allow multiple select in generic importer

It would be great if you could highlight multiple transactions when importing an OFX file, and assign the same account (and action) to them all at the same time. This functionality currently exists in the QIF importer, but not in the generic importer.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Manually change ordering of Transactions

Corresponding bugzilla item: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=700804

It would be really helpful if GnuCash had the facility to move transactions before or after a particular transaction of the same day, i.e. to change the ordering manually by some buttons or similar. If time could be mentioned in seconds then we could do that to rearrange the transactions.
    But easier would be to have Up and Down arrows to rearrange transactions by just selecting on the arrow and clicking on up or down.
    If the moved transaction reaches the beginning or end of the set of the same day's transactions, the transaction date of…

103 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow user to post and pay a vendor invoice at the same time

When entering invoices, often the open, posting, and payment date are all the same. Currently, it is a two step process. It would be nice if there was a 3rd button that gives the user the option to "Post" and "Pay" the invoice in one action.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow for multiple vendors to charge to a Job

Currently if a Job is setup, only one vendor can be associated with that job. If I have something where I am purchasing from multiple vendors to complete a job, I have to create a new GL account.

It would be nice to be able to setup a job be able to assign charges to it from multiple vendors so that reports can be run on the job vs having multiple GL accounts setup to track a job.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow adjustment of tax amount on invoice to match vendor invoice

When entering invoices, the "Tax" at the bottom of the invoice may not match the vendor's sales tax amount. I have to create an additional entry to a suspense account to get it to calculate correctly. Some vendors appear to calculate the sales tax on an item by item basis while other subtotal the taxable items and then calculate the sales tax.

It would be nice to have an option that allows for an adjustment to the sales tax computation in the invoice to match the amount on the vendor's invoice without having to add another line to the invoice.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Provide a tool for disallowing unwanted quickfill transactions

Please write a tool that shows all the entries that are in the quickfill database, with an option (perhaps a checkbox) for each to bar it from use by quickfill if the user chooses. Restoring the option (unchecking the checkbox) would allow it to by used again by quickfill.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add item count in the split

Another improvement which could simplify GnuCash usage is item count in the transaction. When I am buing N items of the same kind in a single transaction I can create N splits (which is not very convenient) or use one split and lost possibility of price tracking.

Things are even more complicated when I want to track price of petrol for example. The only way to do this is to create Petrol account ('currency' of this account is litre) and transfer from Cash through Petrol to Expenses.

Probably this 'special account' approach is the only one that fits double entry…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Display description of the split in Basic Ledger view

There is no easy way to edit transactions for the account if they are split. Let's say my transaction is:

Shop
    - apple (account Food:Fruits)
    - orange (account Food:Fruits)
    - juice (account Food:Drinks)

When I switch to account Food:Fruits and use Transactional Journal, I can see item from account Drinks. If I switch to Basic Ledger it looks better - there are only two lines related to fruits. Unfortunately, only transaction title is displayed for them, so both lines are titled Shop.

I understand that displaying transaction title and split description for Basic Ledger is quite a big change (in…

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow a zero share investment transaction

Some investments pay out part of your capital with your dividends. This reduces the book value (not necessarily the market value) without changing the number of shares. A way is needed to enter this change in gnucash

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add "tomorrow" to the list of symbolic dates for defining reports

The symbolic dates (eg - today, start of financial period, start of previous month, etc) are useful in creating "everlasting" report definitions. However, to create a report of forward transactions one needs to enter the date, as "today" will include transactions also appearing in "to date" reports.

Alternatively, an ability to add an increment (or decrement), in days, from an existing symbolic date (eg: today+1) might be even more useful and flexible.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Remember when I've hidden the scheduled transaction calendar

Every time I go into the Scheduled Transaction Editor, I hide the calendar. It takes up more than half the form, and for me it's useless. It would be wonderful if it could just remember that it had been hidden, and stay hidden, instead of coming back every time.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Request