Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

457 results found

1. Sort cash/bank journal entries in pages

That way you could have a nice overview of your transactions. E.g. You receive bankstatements per month. You could sort all entries for this month in one page. At the end of the month (or whenever you receive it) your bank statement and that page would be look-alikes, which makes it easy to reconcile (manually). I think it would also be handy for cash statements . One physical and one digital cash statement per day for example. I think it helps making auditing and doing double checks easier within less time. Don't you?

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Support cheques/checks

Cheques are grouped into cheque books. Cheques are written, cashed or void (I made a mistake when writing it, so ripped it up). When all cheques in a book are cashed or void, that book becomes less important to me.

When cheques are written they have a created date of the date they are written (actually there could be two different dates here - the date I wrote it and the date it's for, in case I write a future-dated cheque). They have a cheque number (that relates them to other cheques in the same book), plus a description field…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. add shortcuts for business functions

Configurable keyboard shortcuts would be great to improve speed of usage of any most used commands. (eventually as alternative to a customizable icon bar)

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. API or Import format for allow writing Android/iOS Apps

Either:
    * port the API to Android or
    * create a simple XML import+export format that maps 1:1 to transactions with multiple splits (no bayes, no limit on 2 splits per transaction) and allows removal of existing transactions with the same id
    * provide another means to add+remove transactions without a desktop computerand without user interaction

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Running Balance in report

Request for a balance to be shown in the coloum after amount.
    Regards.
    Abhinav Pandey

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add an optional Entry Time field to the

References: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=89439, https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=137017

Currently GnuCash stores the entry date by setting it to midnight local time then converting it to timezone Z (which is either UTC or GMT depending on the operating system). Changing timezone to the west will change the entry date to the day before.

This proposal would fix the problem by optionally adding an Entry Time field to the Register, with a default time of 1100Z. That default would maintain the same date for all timezones from New Zealand Daylight Time (Z + 13 Hours) to Z -11. TZ Z-12, which affects very few people, would…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Resurrect the old Tax Report format

Previously, the user tagged accounts as 'tax-related' and could produce a quite usable Tax report from this.
    Currently, the Tax Report is aligned with the US tax system, the report is unusable for most of the rest of the world and is difficult or impossible to produce work-arounds from.
    My only work-around is to run an older version of GnuCash (with the 'proper' report format) in a virtual machine environment just to produce one report at tax time.
    I have tried to install the desired report format from an older version, following instructions from one of the forums, but it…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. add historical cash flow bar chart

I would really like a barchart like the income/expense chart that shows my money in/out and net flow.

The reason I need this is that GnuCash correctly views my mortgage payments as reducing the liability and not as an expense.
    So instead of accessing the profit and loss report for a particular month to get a detailed view of my money flow I now use the cash flow report for a particular month.

This works like a charm, but I would like to graphically see the trends in my money flows. Before I used the income/expense barchart with the net…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add an option for alternate register background colors by account type

Add an option under Edit > Preferences > Register > Graphics to use different register background colors for each of the top account types, i.e. for assets, liabilities, income, expense and possibly equity. Colors might be selected from the Pantone color chart or other non-proprietary chart. Colors should be selected to be visibly different even to persons who are color blind. This is intended to be a program option, not to be confused with the existing Use System Theme Colors option or the very obscure Style Sheet feature.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Enable user selection of lots sold

Only the FIFO method of lot selection is presently implemented. Enabling users to specify lots to be sold would allow other methods such as LIFO to be used as well as enabling users to deal with tax issues such as holding period rules for capital gains and minimizing or maximized realized gains or losses for given investment transactions.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Create a "Memorized Transaction" feature from autofill data which lists all your payees.

The autofill feature is nice, but it would be good to see a list of all your payees in one place so we could pull transactions from a specific payee, and rename misspellings,etc... Basically a list of payees that we can add or delete from which is generated off autofill...

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. When performing a search, show a total of matching transactions

Often, when I'm performing a search, it's to find all transactions of a given category, and frequently the total of the results is a value that's relevant.

Examples:
    I might search for EmployerName inside the category of my HSA account within the past year to find the total contributions made so far to my HSA for this year so I know how much more I'll need to contribute.

I might search for Jack in the Box inside the category of food to know how much money I've spent at Jack in the Box to determine if it's an area I…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow viewing a part of the budget in budget reports

My budget period is 1 month, and my budget has 12 periods. When viewing a budget report, it's impossible to see how I've done from, say, June and out the year (especially if viewing the difference too), because the budget extend beyond my screen.

I suggest to make it possible to view specific budget periods in the budget report, such as only the current or previous month.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. packaging with appimage

Hi, please consider packaging gnucash with appimage (https://appimage.org/) to simplify packaging across different linux distros.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Chargeback vendor bills to multiple customers/jobs

Chargeback vendor bills to multiple customers/jobs

As of 4.6, the ability to chargeback expenses incurred through a Vendor on a Bill, to a Customer on an Invoice, is limited to including line items on an invoice or not for a given Bill/Customer pairing. The UI label, "Default Chargeback Project" on a Bill implies that individual line items on the Bill could be assigned to non-default projects for the purposes of chargeback. Furthermore, the "Billable?" column accepts an "X" even when "Default Chargeback Project" is not set, consistent with the implication.

This request is to follow through with the implied functionality,…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. add the ability to email from gnucash

add the ability to open an email client with the invoice details so that the invoice can be emailed from gnucash

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Remember when I've hidden the scheduled transaction calendar

Every time I go into the Scheduled Transaction Editor, I hide the calendar. It takes up more than half the form, and for me it's useless. It would be wonderful if it could just remember that it had been hidden, and stay hidden, instead of coming back every time.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Track mileage intuitively

It would be nice to add mileage to a job/invoice/bill as a separate field, and get a total for it in a report for use on taxes at the end of the year. Although I've seen old forum posts about how this can be done with workarounds, it's not very convenient or intuitive. Since mileage tends to be associated with clients/vendors in the real world, why not make it easy to utilize those existing relationships, and save having to create duplicate invoices/bills (one for assets traded, one for miles) for the "same transaction".

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add "tomorrow" to the list of symbolic dates for defining reports

The symbolic dates (eg - today, start of financial period, start of previous month, etc) are useful in creating "everlasting" report definitions. However, to create a report of forward transactions one needs to enter the date, as "today" will include transactions also appearing in "to date" reports.

Alternatively, an ability to add an increment (or decrement), in days, from an existing symbolic date (eg: today+1) might be even more useful and flexible.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 6 8 10 22 23
  • Don't see your idea?