Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

1. Merge several transactions into a single split transaction (and the other way around)

Sometimes you initially expect several transactions from/to the same payee. For example, you expect the monthly rent payment from a tenant, (which may be you have entered as a scheduled transaction) but in month M he/she also has to pay for some yearly tax (which, again, may exist as a separate scheduled transaction). But he/she decides to make a single bank transfer for the total. In such cases, it would be very convenient to have the possibility to select the two transactions and merge them into a single one so that the list of transactions in the bank account remains…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow 0 decimal places in currency

Displaying amounts without the pennies/cents/kopeks sometimes makes sense.

Some currencies (e.g. Yen/Rupee/Zimbabwe $) have a pretty low value, so the 1/100ths of it aren't used in daily transactions.
    Yet the preferences only allow 1-8 decimal places. Why 1-8?

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add new currency: "IRT (Iranian Toman)"

Because while IRR is the government's official currency, people rarely use it, and practically all Iranians use IRT instead of IRR.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Remember print settings

Each time I print an invoice, I need to reselect settings (date format, fields I want to show an hide, invoice style). I'd like to have those settings persistent.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Make the import dialog keyboard friendly

When importing bank transactions, the current import dialog requires us to double click each entry to assign an account. It would be much more efficient to be able to use the keyboard to navigate through the transactions and type in an account to assign the transaction to. In effect, the import dialog would behave a little more like the standard transaction view.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Display description of the split in Basic Ledger view

There is no easy way to edit transactions for the account if they are split. Let's say my transaction is:

Shop
    - apple (account Food:Fruits)
    - orange (account Food:Fruits)
    - juice (account Food:Drinks)

When I switch to account Food:Fruits and use Transactional Journal, I can see item from account Drinks. If I switch to Basic Ledger it looks better - there are only two lines related to fruits. Unfortunately, only transaction title is displayed for them, so both lines are titled Shop.

I understand that displaying transaction title and split description for Basic Ledger is quite a big change (in…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. make invoices much more flexible.

The default invoices look ugly and can't be customized to meet the requirements in Germany. So I suggest that you revamp the whole templating system to create reports and invoice in a much more flexible way.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. look up vendor addresses when printing checks

I print to many of the same vendors every month, using preprinted checks and window envelopes. I can print the check, but must fill in the address on every check. If there were a lookup of the vendor table and fill in the address, it would greatly simplify check printing. I would pay for this feature.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow invoice payments to credit to other than assets or liabilities

When an invoice is created the posting entries are a debit to A/R and a credit to an Income account. When a payment is received the posts are a credit to A/R and a debit is forced into an Asset account or "Liabilities". I need to be able to direct the debit into an Expense account from time to time as a discount may have been granted after the invoice was posted. Additionally, it would be nice to be able to enter more than one Transfer Account for a single payment. Combined with the above I could take care of…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add "Include Subaccounts" checkbox when getting online transactions

Similar to the Include sub account checkbox when reconciling an account, it would be very useful if when retrieving online transactions that the matching algorithm had the option to consider transactions within subaccounts. This feature would enable Envelope Budgeting - where I have one actual checking account but within GNUCash I subdivide it into several "envelopes", and pay for things out of those envelopes. Currently if I download transactions then modify them to debit the sub account, upon next downloading transactions the same ones come back, because they matching doesn't consider subaccounts.

I should also mention, your software is excellent…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Export Invoices to LaTeX

Add the ability to export the data from an invoice as LaTeX data which can be modified and run through LaTeX. Some users have created scripts to automate this process, but are out of date and cumbersome.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. pls add an option to select the period for which the general journal is to be printed

pls add an option to select the period for which the general journal is to be printed

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Fix the moving Entry Date problem by getting rid of entry time.

Reference: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=137017

Currently GnuCash stores the entry date by setting it to midnight local time then converting it to timezone Z (which is either UTC or GMT depending on the operating system). Changing timezone to the west will change the entry date to the day before.

This proposal would fix the problem by saving only the date, without any timezone adjustments, so it would remain fixed regardless of the timezone in which it was entered.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Calendar View Request

Add and Edit using Calendar view
    Useful for User interface

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add user levels to control access to features/funds/reports (username/password), to control access to features, rather than to protect from

Add username/password authentication to provide for multiple users to have different levels of access. Not so much for data encryption, but for separation. This would also work for multiple family members using the same computer.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. to make possibility to obtain the data from Dreamstime.com.

Function of synchronization with photobank would be interesting to photographers and studios.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow user to post and pay a vendor invoice at the same time

When entering invoices, often the open, posting, and payment date are all the same. Currently, it is a two step process. It would be nice if there was a 3rd button that gives the user the option to "Post" and "Pay" the invoice in one action.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. BUDGET: A total RE-ENGINEERING

First of all, Budgeting tool is like a joke in GNU Cash (till version 2.6.8) because:

1. It does not support multiple currencies when it has to add up from sub accounts to main accounts. It affects ALL, and I mean ALL, the budget reports, because it never fits the budget with the real transactions.

For example: I have a "Son Expenses" sub account (in Euros) into my "Family Expenses" (in Dollars). When I register EUR 100 in "Son Expenses" it add USD 100 in "Family Expenses" instead of, let's say USD 112.13 (http://themoneyconverter.com/ES/EUR/USD.aspx on 10-05-2015). So it will not…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Enable import CSV from HTTP

Enabling CSV or XML import through HTTP protocol, would be possible to create systems that could synchronize transactions data between web apps (mobile or website) and GnuCash.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Request

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base