Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

• or

71 results found

1. Simultaneous OFX download for multiple accounts

Currently GNUcash requires manual selection of the OFX download action for each account individually- even though it allows you to store the login credentials. Then the user is forced to decide what to do with the downloaded transactions immediately.

This workflow might be intuitive for personal home use (though still not convenient) where the user likely has a very small number of accounts. It is very unintuitive for businesses who might maintain a large number of accounts.

A more convenient workflow would prompt the user for how they would want to deal with unmatched transactions on download. (ex: discard,…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Emphasise the concept of gc data-files != gc program-file

On the mailing lists, it seems that many users do not understand the concept of having data stored in files:
    - "How can I backup my data?"
    - "I Wanted to start over and reinstalled GC - but the data is still there."
    - "I did $SomethingFromFileMenu an now all my data is gone."

IMHO this would get better if users understood that their data is stored in files just like their office documents.

This could be achieved by changing the startup-behaviour:
    When gc is started with no explicit file as an option, gc should present a dialog with the…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. option to change a automatic split transaction when entering a new transaction

If i had previously entered a transaction as a split, the next time I enter the transaction it automatically comes up again as the last entered transaction. This is nice in some situations however, do not always want this feature. If have a split one time, I do not necessarily want the same split on the next entry. This seem to be the most irritable with splits, but it may apply to other straight entries as well. Can there be an option to decline the suggesting entry or possibly select a different entry other than what is automatically generated?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Make the need for ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY env var (or preference) clear while setting up

I was setting up multi-currency and just quickly followed the instructions that came up. It failed. Turned out I needed an Alpha Vantage API Key in order for it to work. I didn't find this out until I went deep into the trouble-shooting docs even though this is apparently a basic requirement.

If this is a requirement, when someone is setting up multi-currency include that as a step and ask them to enter it at that time.

WHERE I LOOKED IN DOCS: Section 9.6.3 where it says this:

Run Install Online Price Retrieval which can be found in…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add an option for alternate register background colors by account type

Add an option under Edit > Preferences > Register > Graphics to use different register background colors for each of the top account types, i.e. for assets, liabilities, income, expense and possibly equity. Colors might be selected from the Pantone color chart or other non-proprietary chart. Colors should be selected to be visibly different even to persons who are color blind. This is intended to be a program option, not to be confused with the existing Use System Theme Colors option or the very obscure Style Sheet feature.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Global replacement of memo or account fields within a find window.

After a find search has been completed, a window with transactions meeting search criteria is established. Display an option icon that will permit selecting some or all transactions. Then replace all accounts with "new account name". Same with memo field. Example replace all selected items currently with expense:household to expense:food.Example 2. Replace the memo field of all selected items with " bathroom project".

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add 'Memo' (Notes) to list of choices of columns for .csv import

I use GnuCash 2.4.11 on Windows. Currently, the choices available for the columns in GnuCash .csv import are 'Date', 'Description'. 'Balance', 'Deposit', 'Withdrawal', and 'Num'.
    The 'Generic import transaction matcher' has a column in 'List of downloaded transactions' for 'Memo', but predictably is always blank since there is no discernable method of selecting a .csv column for 'Memo'. I am assuming that 'Memo' is the same as 'Notes' displayed when using 'Double Line' display for an account.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The csv import has been reworked fairly intentensively in the current development branch. In gnucash 2.8 it will be possible to select both a memo column and a notes column. This version is currently expected for release early 2018 as other major changes are being implemented still.

Thank you for your request. Feel free to submit additional requests.

8. Dashboard

Create a dashboard which users can customise by choosing some key accounts to populate it with. Ideally the dashboard can be selected to remain on screen at all times and has buttons for going backwards and forwards in time, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. add more options to semi-monthly scheduled transactions

I have a payment that comes in on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday every month. The semi-monthly option in SX doesn't have the option to select these days, so I have to schedule two separate monthly transactions. Can you add the same options from monthly to semi-monthly? I'm using version 4.8 via flatpak.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add support for multiple-step Income Statements

I have fully described the need in https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=765375.

I could add that I have found a workaround for representing taxes in a way that allows me to choose whether my income statement shows net income and net taxes with payroll tax deduced from both, or gross income and gross taxes with no sign of payroll tax in the report. I do this by first accumulating payroll tax as negative income, then adding special year-end transactions, and finally choosing whether to do case sensitive filtering or not when I run the Income Statement report. This method, however, does not scale…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add an option to modify default selected accounts for reports

Whenever I create a new report, I always have to go into the report options and modify the accounts to display to get a meaningful report. It would be nice to be able to save a new default.

Specifics:
    Currently the default accounts to display for a Cash Flow report are those located under: "Assets" and "Imbalance". That shows my income just fine, but the expenses are less meaningful. I always need to manually add "Liabilities" and "Transfers" to show details about where I spent money with my credit cards.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Pre-fill descriptions in post invoice dialog box

When posting an invoice the user is prompted to enter the post date, due date, transaction number and description/memo.

This idea is to pre-populate the description with data already entered in the invoice details. Users would be able to select invoice data, vendor name/number, invoice number, due dates, job name, customer name/number, customer charge back, billing ID etc etc

This pre-populating will reduce data entry when posting the invoice to the general ledger

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Default the Post To account in the invoice payment dialog to the same account listed in the invoice

When I pull up an invoice for a vendor or customer, the invoice shows the account it is posted to, usually an AP or AR child account. However, when I open the payment dialog, the Post To account defaults to AP or AR and I have to remember to manually select the correct account.

The payment dialog should pull the same Post To account from either the associated invoice (It knows the number, so it knows which invoice it is) or the vendor/customer record.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Pre-check outstanding items in reconcile window

The reconcile function asks for a date/value before showing the reconcile window.

If there are a large number of items to reconcile, it is painful to click each item and check it off (even if using the arrow keys/space bar)

Can the reconcile window "pre-check" all the items up to the date the user has entered? This allows the user to unselect a smaller number of items that are not part of the reconcile, instead of selecting a large number that are.

For example: I get a bank statement from my bank. I enter the some of items…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The request to pre-check fully automatically will not be implemented however because it is backwards from a typical reconcile scenario and would confuse way more users than it would benefit.

The above workaround can be used by those who wish to work the other way around.

15. Process Payment Facility - Fundamental Function Not Fully Developed

The way to receive a payment and apply it to a customer's invoice is a basic function that has not been fully developed in Gnucash.

Currently there is only one convoluted way to process a payment, and that is through the top menu only. One has to manually find the invoice and do several clicks. If you have multiple payments to receive, this is a rather sloth procedure.

I'd like to request the following features that would improve a very fundamental function:

1) In the 'Customers' window, place a button on the toolbar labeled 'Process Payment'. When a customer…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. allow deletion of the corresponding double entry

If you delete a transaction you should have the option of deleting the corresponding double entry especially as gnu does not support multiple edit/delete.

As i had mistakes in an account and gnu doesn't support multiple edit i though it would better to delete an account and the transactions. But now I have a compunded the issue - all the double entries are now left in multiple places which i can't multiple select and delete - it's one by one (and by mouse not keyboard).

Without multiple edit or delete gnucash is a one way,…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Sync desktop to the app

How to sync the desktop to the app: import structure and also the transactions.
    First go to desktop and do save as and save as an xml file ex: Business.xml
    Copy that file to the phone, for samsung android, my file explorer works very good.
    Now go to the phone app and do settings/accounts/import xml file.
    Nothing will happen.
    Next go to the app and select Open and browse to the place the xml file was saved, select it and open. It will then say importing xml.
    All structure and also all transactions will appear.
    And that is how you…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. More options for the scheduled transaction scheduler please

I've run into two situations that the current transaction scheduler cannot handle.
    One involves a monthly transaction for a lottery. The logic is that they draw prizes on let's say every second Monday of the month; but the payment is debited 4 days in advance. So I'd like to have an offset to these types of dates.
    The second involves a payment that usually occurs on the 25th, unless it's in the weekend. In this case however, the payment gets moved to Friday if the 25th is a Saturday and to Monday if the 25th is a Sunday, in other…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Import Quicken Data Files

Although the documentation claims GnuCash can import QFX and / or QIF files, it cannot. I exported one Quicken account file (a brokerage firm account file containing stocks, cash "category" / "account" mutual funds and annuities. For the QFX import, a blank "Generic Import transaction matcher" window appears. Clicking the "OK" button does nothing. Clicking the close window gadget closes the window but nothing appears in the main window. No new account.

For QIF, paging through numerous panes makes it look like the import is happening until the final "QIF Import" pane after the "Book" options panel selections are…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Advanced actioning of Scheduled Transactions

I get paid on the last day of the month (31st) and have a scheduled transaction to auto-create for that, as well as all of the transactions for the following month (1st-30th). This way, I allay have a view of how much " "disposable income" I have until I get paid again. In December, I always get paid on 19th-21st, but I now have to wait about 10 days until my scheduled transactions auto-create, so have no view of my disposable income, at a time when my spending can be quite fluid. I'd like to be able to go into…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?