Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

88 results found

1. Inventory system (mini inventory)

It would be nice to have "mini" inventory, in which I can receive good for sales, maintain a stock. And it would be nicer, if it is "connected" to invoice, so I can invoice my customers for goods they bought.

126 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This request is understandable and useful for some users. However, to be honest this won’t be implemented in GnuCash for quite some time (read: years) to come. GnuCash in its current design is targeted towards a home user or small business user, where the financial book-keeping is available. An additional inventory system (beyond using stock accounts not for stocks but for pieces of inventory) is a completely new system, which is not planned and easily possible in GnuCash for some years to come. Because of this, we have to decline this request for now.

2. Add an IOS app for the Apple Iphone/Ipad users

Add an IOS app for the Apple Iphone / Ipad users which can sync with the desktop version of GNU cash.

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This request has become a mixture of two different albeit related requests.
    The first one is to have independent accounting periods for separate books.
    The second is being able to manage multiple companies within one book.
    From an implementation point of view these two are totally unrelated and it’s unclear how the votes cast for this mixed request should be separated.
    Luckily both requests also exist as indepentent feature suggestions:
    - http://gnucash.uservoice.com/forums/101223-feature-request/suggestions/1607557-per-book-accounting-periods
    - http://gnucash.uservoice.com/forums/101223-feature-request/suggestions/7159885-allow-for-multiple-companies-subsidiaries-and-f

For manageability I’ll close this request. Please recast your votes on either or both of the other requests. Thank you.

4. 4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Contrary to HBCI, the other protocol you mentioned is not freely available and hence it is not possible for an open-source project to implement this. Sorry.

5. When an account is doubleclicked, which is already open, don't open a new tab but switch focus to the existing tab.

When an account is doubleclicked in the account tab and the account is already open in a tab, do not open a new tab but switch focus to the existing tab.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your suggestion.

However GnuCash is designed to do what you ask automatically. I verified it works like that on my system (Fedora 16, GnuCash 2.4.11 and development snapshot). If it doesn’t on your system, that should be considered a bug.

If you see new tabs apearing all the time, please consider creating a bugreport in bugzilla (http://bugzilla.gnome.org/). More information on how to submit a bugreport can be found here:
    http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Bugzilla

6. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your idea. This is however already possible now: setup a monthly scheduled transaction to run “Every 12 months”.

Given this easy alternative, it is very unlikely that a separate yearly frequency will be added, because this will break compatibility with older gnucash versions.

8. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately this file format is unknown to the current developers and it is probably also not freely available. Hence this open source project will not implement this export feature.

9. Pre-check outstanding items in reconcile window

The reconcile function asks for a date/value before showing the reconcile window.

If there are a large number of items to reconcile, it is painful to click each item and check it off (even if using the arrow keys/space bar)

Can the reconcile window "pre-check" all the items up to the date the user has entered? This allows the user to unselect a smaller number of items that are not part of the reconcile, instead of selecting a large number that are.

For example: I get a bank statement from my bank. I enter the some of items from the…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The request to pre-check fully automatically will not be implemented however because it is backwards from a typical reconcile scenario and would confuse way more users than it would benefit.

The above workaround can be used by those who wish to work the other way around.

10. Create a centralized repository for user-created custom reports

It would be nice to have an 'exchange' of some sort where people, who have taken the time to create custom reports, can share them. Giving others the ability to improve and tweak them, then release them, will increase the number of custom reports significantly, and could lead to a larger array of default reports included in GnuCash.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a very nice idea. However, it requires some people who have a vision of an active (possibly moderated) user-community. This is not what the gnucash developer people currently can do or have in view. If anyone else wants to start such a site that collects and promotes such a feedback, the developers will happily support them, but the developers will not be able to provide such a place themselves for now. Sorry for that.

11. Create a Windows 10 Universal App with OneDrive sync and ability to have multiple users input in the same DB from different devices.

Essentially allow many family members to use their device of choice to enter data in a central DB (in OneDrive) to maintain one central budget with all information.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

UWP support is dependent upon a cross-platform toolkit implementing a UWP backend and GnuCash adopting that toolkit and rewriting the GUI in it, which will take several years.

OneDrive support is probably already there: GnuCash is known to work with similar services like DropBox and Google Drive. On its own it won’t provide simultaneous multi-user access.

We are planning to rework the SQL backend to permit simultaneous multi-user access with either a file (via SQLite3) or a database server (MySQL/Maria/Etc or Postgresql). This is a complex revision and may require more than one 3-year development cycle to complete.

12. Allow different dates in split transactions

It should be possible to enter a transaction with different dates for the two halves of the split?

The reason for this is that when a transfer happens between two bank accounts at different banks (for example a bank and a credit card or Paypal) there is a time lag (usually a few days) between the credit or debit being sent from one bank and being received by the other bank. This means that the same transaction would have different dates in the two accounts.

When I download the statements, I have to choose whether to keep the date from…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Brokerage Fees

Brokerage Fees for some stocks are not shown in advanced portfolio report. Please provide solution.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Investment Account: Stock

a) Please introduce a feature to view accounts sorted (A to Z or Z to A) in Advanced Portfolio report.
    b) Please add feature to show different sub accounts sorted (A to Z or Z to A) in Accounts window.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You ask for three different things here: Your headline talks about one thing, the point “a)” about another, and “b)” about yet another. Please file separate proposals for different ideas. Thanks.

15. GnuCash needs to be more simple, easy, beautiful, portable as...

There are enough and more Financial Accounting softwares available today both commercial and open source.

So the only reason that my friends and me use GnuCash is because its a Personal Finance Manager BUT GnuCash will have an edge only if it Stands out as a Personal Finance solution that could be used by any lay person. Even though GnuCash claims to be easy to use Its still not as easy as the Software Personal Finances Pro.

I wish GnuCash was as simple, easy, beautiful, and portable as the software Personal Finances Pro which I had been using for quite…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. However, this request is just too unspecific and goes away from gnucash’s goals too much, so we can just decline it. Please use this forum for specific new features, not for requests like “please make you software look like competitor xy”.

16. Persistent 'double line' setting in accounts receivable/payable

When in the Account Receivable/Payable window I had to click View > Double line every time to collapse the register. Suggest to make this setting persistent

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Fix readability bug of highlighted menu items

In current 2.4.11 Windows version, when you hover on a menu item on the main menu bar, the background changes to dark blue while the foreground font color is still black, making the current item totally unreadable. I suggest we also change the foreground font color to white, which is very common in almost every other software, eg. firefox, notepad, to name a few.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Installment forcast or matureness

Suppose you buy a Computer for $1000 worth by incurring a credit card installment of 10 payments of $100.
    The computer value imediately becomes part of you Fixed Assets, and you incurred a debt of $ 1000.
    After the first payment you have a Fixed Asset of $1000, a debt of $900 and $100 on equity.

This feature would help you to realize what are the sources of resources compoundig your Assets, as well would help you to track future expenses, make a true financial planning and is completely different of schedulled transactios for at least two reasons: first, by…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

No, this is exactly the scenario that Scheduled Transactions are designed for. You add the asset balanced by the liability, then create an SX to make the payments according to the schedule. There’s even a Mortgage Assistant to help you set everything up.

19. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is completely outside the scope of our current project. The current project aims at a desktop application, potentially with multi-user capabilities, but in that case the database is the server, not gnucash. Sorry for that.

20. Bring back the old register

The one in 2.5.2 (win32) is horribly slow, ugly, and has a few bad behaviors. It took me a few minutes to enter one transaction (my paycheck), which involves Alt+Tabbing back and forth from GnuCash to the browser to retrieve values. The value you're editing becomes inactive when you move to a different window, and if you start typing when you switch back to GnuCash it acts like a search rather than entering your amount. Also, math isn't calculated when you tab out of the field, which makes it tough to tell how much is remaining to split.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m afraid this will not happen. The old register is a dead end as it’s based on libraries that have been deprecated for a while. If we stick to it, that would effectively mean we would have to maintain this extra code and keep it compatible with the rest of gtk. We don’t have enough man power to do so.

Let me also point out that 2.5.2 is a development release, not a stable one. As such the the new register in 2.5.2 is a work in progress, not the final version. Unfortunately 2.5.3 will not see many improvements.

Other than that I fully agree that the new register code is not ready yet for release. The base is there, but it needs a lot of tweaking and optimisation. I don’t think 2.6 will be released before this has seen some significant improvements.

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Request

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base