Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

458 results found

1. Change the "red line" to a hard date instead of "x days back in time."

This allows one to close a period, disabling changes to a register after a certain date. Right now, the red line floats a certain number of days in the past, which is helpful, but doesn't allow one to "hard-close" a reporting period.

Nice, but not as critical, would be the ability to set a different red line for individual accounts (each of which is no earlier than the books-wide, master red line).

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. A heresy: optionally merge credit/debit columns into one, use negative/positive numbers instead

It seems to be a tradition in accounting to use negative numbers as rarely as possible. But the columns credit/debit (or in other incarnations deposit/withdrawal, spend/receive, ...) are in my view just confusing. In the end you either add or subtract to an account, so there is no point in having one column for subtraction and other column for addition.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Spanish translation

I would like a spanish version. I'm able to help with it if you like. Thank you.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Run back-end in a server mode to make Web interface or third party integration easier

Separate then front-end (UI) and back-end (core) to make the UI be possible replaced by Web interface or other third-party integration.

I have been using GnuCash in my small business for many years and I love it. However, it's a bit hard to do customization like Australia ATO BAS report etc.

If the backend can be seperated from the front-end then it will be much easier to extend it's functionality. For example, I can make a small tool to interact with the back-end directly while keep the current UI unchanged.

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’re working on it, but our predecessors made some bad design decisions and so there’s core code in UI files where it doesn’t belong. It’s going to take a while to get that untangled.

In the meantime you can write custom reports in Scheme and use the Scheme, Python, or C bindings to work with the engine objects. We use “backend” to refer to data storage, either SQL or XML. If you select a SQL backend (File>Save As, select SQL at the top of the dialog box) you can then use SQL queries to extract data and create reports.

5. Budget Flow

The left column of budget flow is intended to be the budget it self. The problem is the total value at the end. Instead of subtracting the expenses from incoming, it is adding both values. For instance: If I have an amount of 2000 of expenses and an amount of 2500 of incomes the total amount will be 4500 instead of 500,00. This might be happening because of a changing of some way that Gnucash handled the incomes and expenses.
    I hope you improve the budget as a whole asp. Because this is a great software that has a great…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. OFX file import.

When selectinga file for OFX import, restrict the files listed to *.OFX (or *.QFX) rather than showing all the files in the selected directory - as in currently done with QIF imports where only *.QIF files are shown.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. sync data across multiple devices

We should be able to sync data across multiple devices. This would enable users to add entries as and when they occur and will also improve the convenience

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow viewing a part of the budget in budget reports

My budget period is 1 month, and my budget has 12 periods. When viewing a budget report, it's impossible to see how I've done from, say, June and out the year (especially if viewing the difference too), because the budget extend beyond my screen.

I suggest to make it possible to view specific budget periods in the budget report, such as only the current or previous month.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. "fund accounting"

Do you have any plans to support "fund accounting methodology" as opposed to the current "equity accounting methodology"?

What is "fund accounting"? The best way to answer that is to point you Wikipedia; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fund_accounting

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Merge several transactions into a single split transaction (and the other way around)

Sometimes you initially expect several transactions from/to the same payee. For example, you expect the monthly rent payment from a tenant, (which may be you have entered as a scheduled transaction) but in month M he/she also has to pay for some yearly tax (which, again, may exist as a separate scheduled transaction). But he/she decides to make a single bank transfer for the total. In such cases, it would be very convenient to have the possibility to select the two transactions and merge them into a single one so that the list of transactions in the bank account remains…

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. allow the user to set the zoom level or font size.

I'd simply like to be able to increase the font size of the GnuCash display much like a browser does. I can't always find my reading glasses and changing the screen resolution is not the best workaround when I have multiple apps open such as a browser window when I'm checking my records against my bank's online statement or working through paperless statements and receipts.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Icon or one-click to access the Scheduled Transaction Editor

It would be great to have an icon to open the Scheduled Transactions Editor, or some sort of one-click option to open it. The three-click "Actions, Scheduled Transactions, Scheduled Transaction Editor" always seems cumbersome to me when it's something I open frequently.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. When performing a search, show a total of matching transactions

Often, when I'm performing a search, it's to find all transactions of a given category, and frequently the total of the results is a value that's relevant.

Examples:
    I might search for EmployerName inside the category of my HSA account within the past year to find the total contributions made so far to my HSA for this year so I know how much more I'll need to contribute.

I might search for Jack in the Box inside the category of food to know how much money I've spent at Jack in the Box to determine if it's an area I…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Swap coulmns as needed

Would it be possible to exchange the position of columns as needed? I can do this with Excel and LibreCalc. This would be helpful because I could make each transaction register appears with the columns the same way as my physical register.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Copy File Attachment To Permanent, GNUCash Location

Currently, you can attach a file to a transaction. However, I would expect GNUCash to "take in" that file, rather than simply store a pointer to the file's current location.

It would be better if GNUCash would copy the file into its own Attachments folder which would preferably be a hidden folder.

Here is my use case:

I download an invoice from a website with the intention of attaching it. I open up GNUCash, find the transaction, and attach the PDF from its current folder, 'Downloads'.

Regularly, I cull my 'Downloads' folder as it is not meant to be a…

39 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Attach files or locations to Accounts

Recently the ability was added to attach files or Locations to a Transaction. It would be great if this was also possible for accounts (in case this is easier: Location would be enough). Often an account is related to a certain Folder, e.g. bills from one Company or bank Statements. In particular for bank Statements and credit Cards, you wouldn't want to attach the file to each trx, but rather be able to quickly open the Folder and open the document manually.

Best,

YeOldHinnerk

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. allow to sort accounts by total in income & expense statement

Presently, in the income & expense statement report, the income accounts are sorted alphabetically. I suggest they could be sorted by decreasing total, so that the most significant amount appears first. (the same for expense accounts)

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow for multiple companies (subsidiaries), and for consolidated accounting

This is a variation of another user's suggestion, except it does not address variable reporting periods among the various companies. I believe this is therefore a simpler feature case.

The user creates a single chart of accounts, but for each transaction, create an additional column of data: the company.

Then, for reports, have a check box which presents: a) all transactions, b) only transactions for company 'n'. For example, if the user creates 2 companies, three reports are possible, "Company 1", "Company 2", and a consolidated report.

Post a transaction which impacts retained earnings?: the company column value would carry…

42 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Use a GTK theme for OSX

Right now GnuCash is very ugly on OSX. Mostly becuase their is no gtk theme on OSX.

Like wireshark would be nice if GnuCash build was using the new Adwaita default theme: http://balintreczey.hu/blog/beautiful-wireshark-on-os-x-using-homebrew-and-gtk3quartz/

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Enable user selection of lots sold

Only the FIFO method of lot selection is presently implemented. Enabling users to specify lots to be sold would allow other methods such as LIFO to be used as well as enabling users to deal with tax issues such as holding period rules for capital gains and minimizing or maximized realized gains or losses for given investment transactions.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 6 8 10 22 23