Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

457 results found

1. Permit the start and end of an accounting period to be specified as a particular day in the month, or as a particular date within the year

Pay day for many people does not fall on the last day of the month; it would therefore be helpful when producing reports for the start and end dates to use the "pay month".

Also here in the UK, the financial year (for income tax purposes) ends on the 5th April, so the ability to specify the accounting period as running from 6th April one year through to 5th April the following year would be a benefit to those of us who have to provide income tax data to HMRC.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. add shortcuts for business functions

Configurable keyboard shortcuts would be great to improve speed of usage of any most used commands. (eventually as alternative to a customizable icon bar)

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Include mysql and postgresql support in the macosx build

The build for macos does not include support for macos and postgresql which requires the user to have to compile in these options themselves. This is a lot to ask for, please just add this support to the macosx build.

34 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. transaction status "pending"

1. In addition to "n", "c" and "y" in the status indicator, I would like a "p" for pending. I understand I would have to manually mark the "pending" transactions myself. I would like for GnuCash to change "p" transactions to a "c" during a successful import match just like they change "n" transactions to "c" now.
    2. I would like to have a function that would show me a Bank-Agrees-with-Me-Balance or QuickBalance that calculates a balance by reading transactions beginning on a date I choose or since the last Reconciliation, and goes through the latest transaction. Bank-Agrees-with-Me-Balance would exclude "n" transactions…
    1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Easy way to connect GNU Cash to CRM Systems (SugarCRM, vTigerCRM, SplendidCRM, etc)

It should be quite easy to connect GNU Cash to CRM Systems if you know how there SQL-db layout is. Doing this would make GNU Cash so much more valuable to companies. I myself do volunteer to implement this feature. If I can get one GNU Cash developer to cooperate with me on this (as I would be required to ask questions about GNU Cash internals).

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. look up vendor addresses when printing checks

I print to many of the same vendors every month, using preprinted checks and window envelopes. I can print the check, but must fill in the address on every check. If there were a lookup of the vendor table and fill in the address, it would greatly simplify check printing. I would pay for this feature.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  4 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Separate the price history file from the data file so multiple sets of accounts can use common history

If the price history were stored seperately to the company accounts data it would ensure integrity of price history accross different entities (ie all your entities are using the same price for a security on any given date). This wouls also mean that prices only need to be updated once (instead of once per data file). In addition the structure required for the price history databse would be far more simple, potentially allowing direct enty into the database from external programs (eg to populate price history).

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Keyboard Shortcuts for Register Views

To quickly jump between Basic Ledger, Auto-Split Ledger and Transaction Journal views.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. saving

In Quicken there is the possiblitiy to tell the program that you would like to spent less money on a specific category. It would be nice GnuCash would give an alert if you spent "too much" for a specific category.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Sort cash/bank journal entries in pages

That way you could have a nice overview of your transactions. E.g. You receive bankstatements per month. You could sort all entries for this month in one page. At the end of the month (or whenever you receive it) your bank statement and that page would be look-alikes, which makes it easy to reconcile (manually). I think it would also be handy for cash statements . One physical and one digital cash statement per day for example. I think it helps making auditing and doing double checks easier within less time. Don't you?

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Provide for deletion of bills and vendors

I understand this isn't trivial because of the transactional nature of gnucash and dependencies would have to be undone. I also realize it breaks auditability conventions. But I use Gnucash for personal use and I want accurate, clean records. Being human I make mistakes with creating vendors and bills all the time that I want to delete, not uncheck active and have garbage data lingering in my database forever.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Use a separate window for transaction edits

Use a separate window for transaction edits that is visually different from the transaction register. It could have all the existing navigation shortcuts or not, but it should be designed to clarify the differences from the register view caused by the need for the 'extra' account to complete double entry information, which defaults, of course, to the current account. Since the default account could be shown in a separate box, it would not be in the way when a new split line is added. When splits are created, extra boxes or lines appear for the additional number, action, memo, amount…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Have the option to print or save a summary of the reconcile.

After a monthly reconcile it would be very helpful to have a summary statement showing the date, transaction, amount, cleared balance and register balance with the date of the reconciled statement. In this manner, if there is a question about a previous transaction it can easily be resolved.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Automate setup for reconciliation

As introduced in this thread: http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2004-November/011977.html

I see no reason reconciliation cannot utilize the already existing code used for walking users through finding duplicates in QIF imports. Reconciliation is all about finding duplicates in order to identify lone transactions.

Having gnucash import a QIF, identify likely matches, then prompt the user whether to mark Reconciled is far faster and more efficient than the current system of my printing out my bank statement and manually checking off each transaction on paper switching back and forth to the gnucash reconciliation screen to click on the matching transaction.

And the code is already…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Use tax lots to dump details for US Schedule D

It seems like this is already on the Gnucash developers' radar, but I thought I would add it here as well because it could be a very useful feature.

In the United States, we have to report capital gains on individual tax returns every year --- the gain is reported (and tax paid) when the asset is sold. The tax return includes the item, quantity, purchase price, and sales revenue. Since Gnucash is already tracking lots of identical items (e.g., stocks), it should be possible to gather enough information to automatically generate the information for this tax return -- which…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow 0 decimal places in currency

Displaying amounts without the pennies/cents/kopeks sometimes makes sense.

Some currencies (e.g. Yen/Rupee/Zimbabwe $) have a pretty low value, so the 1/100ths of it aren't used in daily transactions.
    Yet the preferences only allow 1-8 decimal places. Why 1-8?

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Bonds are quoted as %. Please add the possibility to divide the retrived quote by 100 on some bonds.

Many European Bonds have quotation base on 100 units (%). Yahooeurope for example offers price referred to single unit for stocks and price referred to 100 units for bonds. It would be nice if the price editor would have the possibility to divide the price retrived by Finance::Quote by 100 (or some other value). Finance Quote cannot do it because it operates on a source base (es Yahooeurope) and does not know if it is a bond or a stock.
    Thank you for all your great work.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Move Estimate settings (date and significant digits) to Budget Options and remember

Button Estimate open Window "Estimate Budget Values" and these settings (date and significant digits) move to Budget Options and remember values from first set up.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allocation of Sales Tax

For a transaction there should be an easy automated way to allocate the remaining imbalance (usually sales tax) to the other expenses proportionally. This was a feature in MS Money that I really liked.

Here is an example:

Expense:Food 20
    Expense:Tools 10
    Expense:Toys 5
    Liability:CC Card 42
    (imbalance) 7

It would be nice to be able to double-click on the (imbalance) and gnucash would distribute automatically the $7 to each item in the debt column by its proportion to the total of the credit column.

Currently I’ve been typing in the equation manually as shown below. This gets annoying after…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Clearing

Clearing

Clearing is more than just checking an account balance. It is another way of grouping
    existing split bookings of different transactions. This is very similar to clear
    invoices against payments; which would be covered by this more general approach as well.

In gnucash two or more splits are grouped to one transaction.
    That transaction has a timestamp when it has happened.
    Clearing means to group splits of different transactions into a "clearing group".
    This "clearing group" has no timestamp.
    It just helps to find splits which are not yet "cleared".

To achieve this, each split needs one additional column:

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)