Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

61 results found

1. Add a right-click option for jumping to an invoice/bill that a transaction refers to.

Similar to how you can right-click and jump to the other account that a transaction refers to, but have another option to instead be able to jump to the invoice/bill that the transaction refers to.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. The Gnucash wiki under feedback should have a link to this User Voice

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Contributing_to_GnuCash#Feedback

On the GnuCash wiki, no reference is made to this User Voice. Instead, there's a link to a question in the FAQ that apparently no longer exists.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Before a revert is executed, Gnucash shouldn't prompt to save

I just got screwed by this and my automatic reflex to hit save when prompted to do so. The very act of reverting is incompatible with saving first, and if you agree to do so, it saves and then reverts to the save it just made, which doesn't make any sense at all.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. X-Plattform / relative / ... file attachment pathes

Currently, file attachments are stored with their absolute path on the file-system. This makes it impossible to use a GC environment (datafile and attachments) cross-plattform via sync (dropbox, git, etc). Syncing on the same plattform, also is difficult as you need the same pathes as well.

Some ideas:
    - Pathes are stored relative to the gnucash file
    - Files are kept inside the datafile / -base
    - Usage of environment variables

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This feature has been implemented in our development branch, which will eventually be released as gnucash 2.8 (currently scheduled for early 2018).

Thank you for your request and feel free to send new ones!

5. How does one move transactions up or down. Some people say is it is possible but no how-to is available

move transaction rows up or down within transactions of the same date

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

It’s implemented in the unstable versions that will become the next stable series. There, you have right-click items “move up / move down”. In the current 2.6.x stable series the feature is not yet there, but it will appear in the next versions.

6. Cleaning up payment lots

As mentioned in the post http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/quot-Internal-Lot-Links-quot-mess-in-Accounts-Receivable-td4667168.html, the clutter created by payment lots in the the AR/AP accounts was raised but no solution was discussed.

I think the information would be more useful in a seperate register for payments made/recieve for vendor/customber invoices where invoice numbers, vendor/customers numbers are linked.

This may involve a redesign of the "Process Payment" dialog to include the above information which captures all the data relationships assciated with the payment data instead of storing the links in the ledgers.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for bringing this up.

Meanwhile gnucash 2.6.5 has been released which boasts a major cleanup of the lot link generation code. More precisely lot links won’t be created anymore unless a payment involves at least one invoice AND one credit note. That’s the only situation in which lot links are unavoidable.

In all other cases the payments are handled as before lot links were introduced, with the additional advantage of more fine-grained control over which invoice(s) to pay with a single payment.

Note that existing lot links are not cleaned up automatically. One should run “Check & Repair” on the A/R and A/P accounts for this to happen.

Lastly even though 2.6.5 contains the bulk of the improvements, I advise to use 2.6.6 instead as it has some fixes that prevent gnucash from locking up in certain circumstances when cleaning out the old lots.

7. Display (e.g. in form of a small icon) if a file/location is associated with transaction

Please enable the possibility to display somehow if a file/location is attached to transaction. Don’t want to ‘right click’ all to see if a file is attached or not.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. File linkage to transaction

Currently in v2.6.0 there is a possibility to associate file or location to the transaction. However there is no possibility to unlink it. Also there is no 'symbol' to allow user to see there is a file/location linkage to the transaction. It should show up so user will be able to differentiate when transactions have a file associated or not.

41 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add feature to show the 'hidden' column in the Accounts tab

In the accounts tab, you can select to view a number of different columns. I would find it helpful to show the 'hidden' column so that I can see which accounts have the 'hidden' attribute selected/deselected.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for the link.

While I would have preferred if the seller at least referred to the gnucash project in a way, he is in no way required to do so.

The GPL explicitly allows commercial use of the sources. The only requirement the seller has is to provide the full source code upon request to users of his binary packages. As long as he properly does so he’s not violating the GPL. And only his customers can test that.

The gnucash project is also not against commercial initiatives involving our software in general.

We only hope that the seller does a decent job in satisfying his customers. It would be a pity if such an isolated initiative would hurt the gnucash project itself due to misleading activities. So far there is no evidence of such activity.

11. Add days of the week to header row of 'Upcoming Transactions'

Within the Scheduled Transactions tab, the upcoming transactions calendar shows the month on the left hand side.
    It would be really useful if it showed the day of week (Mon, Tues, Wed, etc) across the top of each table.
    At present it's not clear if the week starts with Sunday or Monday.
    Thank you.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your request.

I’m not sure which version of GnuCash you were using when you filed this request. However in GnuCash 2.6.x, I see these headers at the top of my Upcoming Transactions calendar, so I consider this complete.

If I’m mistaken, please feel free to provide more detail.

12. An error occurred during the processing of the file

I can not open the file in Gnucash 2.6.0. I do not have this problem in Gnucash 2.4.13. I'm running Win 8.1. Is the latest version of Gnucash supports the Win 8.1?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Tracking Last Reconcile

I used to use Microsoft Money and it would keep track of the last date that a reconcile was done. So, every time I went to reconcile the checking account, it would give me the date of the last reconcile and the amount. I liked this feature because I don't wait for statements to reconcile to. I reconcile to the online activity whenever I get a chance to sit down and work on it. Having a reminder of the last date the account was reconciled makes it easier to find the transaction that I need to start on in the…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your suggestion.

However this is already possible in GnuCash. I can give you two options:

1. Open the register for your checking account. There is a reconcile column in there (on character wide) with one of 3 characters in it (in English)
    n – not reconciled
    c – cleared (ie manually marked as ok, but not verified)
    y – reconciled
    It suffices to look for the last row with a “y” in the reconcile column and read the balance at that date.

2. On the account hierarchy page, click on the down-arrow in the top right corner. This will reveal a list of available (an visible) columns. Select the columns
    Reconciled
    Last Reconcile date
    And you will have the information available at a glance for all your accounts in one page.

14. Add 'Memo' (Notes) to list of choices of columns for .csv import

I use GnuCash 2.4.11 on Windows. Currently, the choices available for the columns in GnuCash .csv import are 'Date', 'Description'. 'Balance', 'Deposit', 'Withdrawal', and 'Num'.
    The 'Generic import transaction matcher' has a column in 'List of downloaded transactions' for 'Memo', but predictably is always blank since there is no discernable method of selecting a .csv column for 'Memo'. I am assuming that 'Memo' is the same as 'Notes' displayed when using 'Double Line' display for an account.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The csv import has been reworked fairly intentensively in the current development branch. In gnucash 2.8 it will be possible to select both a memo column and a notes column. This version is currently expected for release early 2018 as other major changes are being implemented still.

Thank you for your request. Feel free to submit additional requests.

15. sorting option for the entry "Transfer"

Why is there no sorting option for the entry "Transfer" ?
    When reviewing entries, this would be very useful!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. do not duplicate the account name in the description field and avoid polluting the description field with irrelevant information.

It is much better if the description field contains only informmation worth reading, if all description fields are pre-filled with the account name you end up not reading the description anymore because it won't seem worth the time spent reading it.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In 2.6.x this seems to be no issue any more. When selecting a category, only the category description is given in the description field. There are no accounts (or even account descriptions) in there (any more).

So this should be solved. If not, feel free to correct me, and make me understand better.

Thank you for your request.

17. OFX Importable number of characters for NAME is too short

OFX Importable number of characters for NAME is 32.
    But it is 10 at multibyte language.(1 character == 3 bytes at multibyte characters on UTF8)
    Isn't it extended?

example patch for libofx

--- inc/libofx.h.in~ 2011-04-17 02:10:20 +0900
    +++ inc/libofx.h.in 2013-03-25 18:50:29 +0900
    @@ -70,7 +70,7 @@
    #define OFXACCOUNTIDLENGTH (OFXBANKIDLENGTH + OFXBRANCHIDLENGTH + OFXACCTIDLENGTH + 1)
    #define OFX
    ACCOUNTNAMELENGTH 255
    #define OFXMARKETINGINFOLENGTH (360 + 1)
    -#define OFX
    TRANSACTIONNAMELENGTH (32 + 1)
    +#define OFXTRANSACTIONNAMELENGTH (96 + 1)
    #define OFX
    UNIQUEIDLENGTH (32 + 1)
    #define OFXUNIQUEIDTYPELENGTH (10 + 1)
    #define OFXSECNAMELENGTH (32 + 1)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the patch. Indeed, the libofx library should allow larger field lengths. In fact, the source code of libofx shouldn’t rely on fixed maximum field sizes anyway, but currently the source code still does it. Sorry for that.

Your patch is now in the libofx git repository so that it will be in the next release, libofx-0.9.6. Unfortunately, I’m not its maintainer (but Benoit is), so I can’t tell when there will be a release.

18. Add cleared balance column and check box

Allows user to reconcile running balance to daily bank transactions (check against online banking rather than end of month statement) but also see an overall balance of current and future transactions i.e. bills that are entered in to be paid, but not yet cleared. In short, a how much money I have, how much money the bank says I have right now.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. More freuquent updates to distribute smaller changes

Currently, versions are updated quite rarely. However, a number of smaller changes has been finished for quite a while. In particular some of the changes improve the user experience. These should be released on a much more frequent basis (e.g. 2.4.11 was released 2012-07-14).

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. thanks for the software,can you add a week days only (Mon-Fri) option for scheduled tranactions

thanks for the software,can you add a week days only (Mon-Fri) option for scheduled tranactions

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your request. However in the current version of gnucash this is already possible:
    - Choose “Weekly” as recurrence
    - Tick Monday, Tuesday,… Friday in the “Days” panel.

• Don't see your idea?

Feature Request

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base