Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

457 results found

1. auto-guess split when auto-filling transactions

So I have lots of reoccurring expenses which are often split (sometimes it is a business expense, which is split between a tax-deductible account and a non-deductible account, or a joint expense, where half of it is an expense and half a credit to an asset account representing the money owed), but while the amount may change, the percentage split doesn't. So auto-fill works great for getting the accounts I need, but once I enter the new total amount, the splits are all wrong and I have to manually adjust them. It would great to have gnucash auto-adjust the split…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. OFX Import Improvements

Show a transaction report or something when importing an OFX file. OFX import for investment accounts has a few quirks or bugs. One very frustrating thing about it is that the user can't see how the transactions were imported (what accounts, too often the wrong one). If the transaction were shown in a new tab like what is done in with 'Scheduled Transactions' then the user could see what happened & fix it. There's a click box to 'Review created transactions' when getting 'since last run' scheduled transactions, this is what I had in mind. A report would probably work…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. to make possibility to obtain the data from Dreamstime.com.

Function of synchronization with photobank would be interesting to photographers and studios.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add user levels to control access to features/funds/reports (username/password), to control access to features, rather than to protect from

Add username/password authentication to provide for multiple users to have different levels of access. Not so much for data encryption, but for separation. This would also work for multiple family members using the same computer.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. GnuCash for Synology DSM

GnuCash is available for Linux distributions like Fedora, Ubuntu, etc.

Nowadays network attached storage (NAS) is quite popular. NAS-systems are relatively cheap and offer great value (file station, photo station, backup, etc.). NAS-systems from Synology (and many competitors) are based on Linux.

It is beneficial for small companies that GnuCash becomes available on NAS-systems like Synology DSM.

Typically a NAS is always running. The continuous availability makes it easy for somebody to update a GnuCash administration on a NAS by using a webclient. Without much effort, somebody else may check the same GnuCash administration at a later time.

Although a…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow invoice payments to credit to other than assets or liabilities

When an invoice is created the posting entries are a debit to A/R and a credit to an Income account. When a payment is received the posts are a credit to A/R and a debit is forced into an Asset account or "Liabilities". I need to be able to direct the debit into an Expense account from time to time as a discount may have been granted after the invoice was posted. Additionally, it would be nice to be able to enter more than one Transfer Account for a single payment. Combined with the above I could take care of…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Allocation of Sales Tax

For a transaction there should be an easy automated way to allocate the remaining imbalance (usually sales tax) to the other expenses proportionally. This was a feature in MS Money that I really liked.

Here is an example:

Expense:Food 20
    Expense:Tools 10
    Expense:Toys 5
    Liability:CC Card 42
    (imbalance) 7

It would be nice to be able to double-click on the (imbalance) and gnucash would distribute automatically the $7 to each item in the debt column by its proportion to the total of the credit column.

Currently I’ve been typing in the equation manually as shown below. This gets annoying after…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add projection capabilites to accounts

Target is to project the balance sheet and the income statement into the future based on projected accounts.

Each account should allow to enable a "projected value".
    Default value is 0.
    Options are (at least):
    Constant value.
    Based on average of last N (default: 1) months / accounting periods average increased by a factor of x (default: 1) each period.

Correpsonding reports need to be established, e.g.:
    -Projected Account Values: Shows value of selected accounts as projected for each projected period (each account one row, value in columns)
    -Projected Income Statement / Balace Sheet: As above, could be created from…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Provide a quick way to see the full path to the current file

I often work on different copies of files with the same name, e.g.
    2011/allaccounts
    2012/all
    accounts

In the recent files menu, these show as:
    allaccounts
    all
    accounts

And there's nowhere in the interface that I've found that shows the full path, so I don't know which is which. I pretty much avoid using the recent files menu to avoid making mistakes -- but gnucash also reopens the last-viewed file, which also could be any of them.

I could keep my filenames more distinct (but then what's the point of having folders?), but that doesn't help in cases where…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Enhance Online Bank Transactions Workflow

I use Gnucash für almost five years now for my private finances as well as for my company's. It's the best open source accounting software available. Thanks a lot for that!

Observing my personal workflow I realise that I spent most of the time in the online transactions tool inputting the accounts to be booked in. Although the Bayes algorithm is kind of a help here, it could easily be saved a lot of time with a few alterations.

Some ideas on that:

I. New online transactions import dialog.
    It contains just one transaction at a time (instead of all…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. implement a DATEV-Export for tax accountant/advisor (German)

Normaly I book everything and then I give the Datev-Export-Files to the tax advisor which imports these files into his programm. So he can work with my data.
    http://www.datev.de/portal/ShowPage.do?pid=dpi&nid=115908
    http://www.datev.de/portal/ShowPage.do?pid=dpi&nid=16111&stat_Mparam=int_url_datev_schnittstellen

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Store Limits Of Credit Cards And Amount Of Current Credit Available

This would be a nice to have feature which will display how much credit you may have on each credit card and also show if you have somehow gone past your limit if that is possible.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow us to remove the num column, as many of us don't use it, so it just takes up space.

Allow us to remove the num column from various screen, as many of us don't use it, so it just takes up space.

Even better: let us choose exactly which columns we want to display. e.g. under 'scheduled transactions', it makes sense to display the amounts involved, instead of having to view each one separately.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Enable import CSV from HTTP

Enabling CSV or XML import through HTTP protocol, would be possible to create systems that could synchronize transactions data between web apps (mobile or website) and GnuCash.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. BUDGET: A total RE-ENGINEERING

First of all, Budgeting tool is like a joke in GNU Cash (till version 2.6.8) because:

1. It does not support multiple currencies when it has to add up from sub accounts to main accounts. It affects ALL, and I mean ALL, the budget reports, because it never fits the budget with the real transactions.

For example: I have a "Son Expenses" sub account (in Euros) into my "Family Expenses" (in Dollars). When I register EUR 100 in "Son Expenses" it add USD 100 in "Family Expenses" instead of, let's say USD 112.13 (http://themoneyconverter.com/ES/EUR/USD.aspx on 10-05-2015). So it will not…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add setting for reports location.

Would love to be able to save reports to a specific folder, preferably one associated with the account file the report applied to. So when working on an account only the 'saved reports' applicable to that account would be available thereby reducing clutter when selecting a report to run. It would also simplify sharing the account and reports with other users.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. improve autocomplete of descriptions and categories

Entering transactions, gnucash often guesses wrong about what my intent is. I'm okay with that. What I'm not okay with is that the wrong guesses mess up my continuing input.

If I type "Ama" and then it autocompletes "Amazon", then I should be able continue typing to get it to change the autocomplete to "Amazing" by typing "zi".

When matching account names, if I type ":" then it should lock in the current autocomplete up through the next ":" in the account name.
    So, when I type "Ca" and it autocompletes "Car:Gas:R32", I should be able to type "::" to…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Connect to banks using the Saltedge Spectre API

An alternative (and free for most cases) bank connections could be done with https://docs.saltedge.com/account_information/v5/#quick_start .
    The project https://github.com/firefly-iii/firefly-iii currently have this implementations and it works perfectly, but FireFly III features are quite reduced. In fact, at the docs suggest GNUCash when a more complex financial app is required (https://firefly-iii.readthedocs.io/en/latest/support/features.html) :)

Please consider adding this api to automatically obtain the back transactions. The api is well documented and quite simple to connect.
    https://docs.firefly-iii.org/en/latest/import/spectre.html

Thank!

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. extend filters for time periodes

every account can grow big but most time only -- actual year , last month, last quarter, businessyear... is interesting also for performance reasons would be
    a toolbar PERIODEPICKER that is valid for all books and reports

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Faster currency chooser: Navigation with drop-down boxes with TAB autocompletion

In currency drop-down box, pressing E char would go to the words beginning in E like EURO.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Request