Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

61 results found

1. Add 'Memo' (Notes) to list of choices of columns for .csv import

I use GnuCash 2.4.11 on Windows. Currently, the choices available for the columns in GnuCash .csv import are 'Date', 'Description'. 'Balance', 'Deposit', 'Withdrawal', and 'Num'.
    The 'Generic import transaction matcher' has a column in 'List of downloaded transactions' for 'Memo', but predictably is always blank since there is no discernable method of selecting a .csv column for 'Memo'. I am assuming that 'Memo' is the same as 'Notes' displayed when using 'Double Line' display for an account.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The csv import has been reworked fairly intentensively in the current development branch. In gnucash 2.8 it will be possible to select both a memo column and a notes column. This version is currently expected for release early 2018 as other major changes are being implemented still.

Thank you for your request. Feel free to submit additional requests.

2. Doubleclick on Placeholder account should open tree not account tab

If a placeholder account is double-clicked in the account tree view, the tree should open rather than opening the placeholder account.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I have chosen to change the behaviour of all accounts with children: double clicking that account to show/hide its children seems to be the most frequent use case.
    You can still open the account itself by using the menu option for that (also available via right-click context menu)

3. Add feature to show the 'hidden' column in the Accounts tab

In the accounts tab, you can select to view a number of different columns. I would find it helpful to show the 'hidden' column so that I can see which accounts have the 'hidden' attribute selected/deselected.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Cleaning up payment lots

As mentioned in the post http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/quot-Internal-Lot-Links-quot-mess-in-Accounts-Receivable-td4667168.html, the clutter created by payment lots in the the AR/AP accounts was raised but no solution was discussed.

I think the information would be more useful in a seperate register for payments made/recieve for vendor/customber invoices where invoice numbers, vendor/customers numbers are linked.

This may involve a redesign of the "Process Payment" dialog to include the above information which captures all the data relationships assciated with the payment data instead of storing the links in the ledgers.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for bringing this up.

Meanwhile gnucash 2.6.5 has been released which boasts a major cleanup of the lot link generation code. More precisely lot links won’t be created anymore unless a payment involves at least one invoice AND one credit note. That’s the only situation in which lot links are unavoidable.

In all other cases the payments are handled as before lot links were introduced, with the additional advantage of more fine-grained control over which invoice(s) to pay with a single payment.

Note that existing lot links are not cleaned up automatically. One should run “Check & Repair” on the A/R and A/P accounts for this to happen.

Lastly even though 2.6.5 contains the bulk of the improvements, I advise to use 2.6.6 instead as it has some fixes that prevent gnucash from locking up in certain circumstances when cleaning out the old lots.

5. Chart rendering

For some odd reason, the chart rendering is not properly formatted. For example, the rectangle around the chart image and description of sectors is narrower than the descriptions, so the words are cut short. I've been noticing this for quite a while now. I hoped the chart rendering would improve over time, but so far it is still lacking. Any thoughts on that?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. After exiting the application, the process should also be terminated (in Windows 10 64 bit)

After closing the application, the process is not terminated. After starting and closing the application again, another process remains. And so on.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. improve import dialog

I regularly use the QIF import and every time I do so I have to click 14(!) times to finally reach the list for transaction assignments. The only thing that really needs to be asked for is the import file name. All other answers are the same every time so they should be stored somewhere.
    Also the title of all these questions uses a big portion of the screen on the left side for no use. This room is much more usefull for the often very long transaction texts. At the moment I have to do a lot of left/right…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. List of current customers and vendors, open bills and invoices

Instead of requiring users to use the search tool to find customers, there should be an optional list of active customers and vendors with balances due.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. business part payments

Occasionally, I pay part of a monthly business statement bill of materials. In the menu Business-Vendor-Process Payment, I would like an option to see a list of un-paid bills, then select each bill that I wish to add to the value of payment.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. create scheduled transaction option for week and day of month

I have a payment that comes in on the third Wednesday of each month, but there's no way to schedule that transaction accurately.

This would requre additional options on the frequency tab.
    • in the "On the" drop down box for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th week
    • check boxes for the day of the week (or an additional drop down box where one selects the day of the week) which is disabled until a week is chosen in the "On the" list

I have seen this problem discussed in the mail list but without a solution.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. More freuquent updates to distribute smaller changes

Currently, versions are updated quite rarely. However, a number of smaller changes has been finished for quite a while. In particular some of the changes improve the user experience. These should be released on a much more frequent basis (e.g. 2.4.11 was released 2012-07-14).

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Name a Search

Every Edit>Find or Ctrl-F(ind) action generates a "Search Results" window with matching transactions.

It would be nice to distinguish such windows by a name or title. The user might be able to name it, or the name could indicate the Register being searched (possibly abbreviated), and the string or condition being searched, eg. Income - "salary", or US Bank - not R(econciled)..

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Autosave after each transaction

It would be nice if GNUCash performed a "save" after each transaction. But not the typical save as that would take too long between transactions. Is it possible to write each transaction to the file after it is entered? This would be more user friendly than using the log file that has to be "replayed" in the event of a crash or other problem.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  5 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Built-in PDF export

Gnucash should have a built-in PDF generator, allowing to customize some aspects you can't manipulate when using an external PDF printer - like when you want to print out a specific period of time of transactions within an account (e.g. starting day X and ending day Y).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Say on your download site whether GC is compatible with Windows 8

Say on your download site whether GC is compatible with Windows 8. I cannot find it anywhere

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your request. Windows 8 had already been added in the download link some time ago. At this point Windows 10 is already in the wild and there have been several reports of successful use of gnucash on that platform. , So I have just updated the link to mention that as well.

16. Add new ISO code for Zambia: ZMW

I am in Zambia and need the ISO code ZMW for the rebased currency effective 1st Jan 2013. I want to treat this as a new currency so that I can maintain my records in the old (ZMK) and new currencies.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add days of the week to header row of 'Upcoming Transactions'

Within the Scheduled Transactions tab, the upcoming transactions calendar shows the month on the left hand side.
    It would be really useful if it showed the day of week (Mon, Tues, Wed, etc) across the top of each table.
    At present it's not clear if the week starts with Sunday or Monday.
    Thank you.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your request.

I’m not sure which version of GnuCash you were using when you filed this request. However in GnuCash 2.6.x, I see these headers at the top of my Upcoming Transactions calendar, so I consider this complete.

If I’m mistaken, please feel free to provide more detail.

18. do not duplicate the account name in the description field and avoid polluting the description field with irrelevant information.

It is much better if the description field contains only informmation worth reading, if all description fields are pre-filled with the account name you end up not reading the description anymore because it won't seem worth the time spent reading it.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In 2.6.x this seems to be no issue any more. When selecting a category, only the category description is given in the description field. There are no accounts (or even account descriptions) in there (any more).

So this should be solved. If not, feel free to correct me, and make me understand better.

Thank you for your request.

19. OFX Importable number of characters for NAME is too short

OFX Importable number of characters for NAME is 32.
    But it is 10 at multibyte language.(1 character == 3 bytes at multibyte characters on UTF8)
    Isn't it extended?

example patch for libofx

--- inc/libofx.h.in~ 2011-04-17 02:10:20 +0900
    +++ inc/libofx.h.in 2013-03-25 18:50:29 +0900
    @@ -70,7 +70,7 @@
    #define OFXACCOUNTIDLENGTH (OFXBANKIDLENGTH + OFXBRANCHIDLENGTH + OFXACCTIDLENGTH + 1)
    #define OFX
    ACCOUNTNAMELENGTH 255
    #define OFXMARKETINGINFOLENGTH (360 + 1)
    -#define OFX
    TRANSACTIONNAMELENGTH (32 + 1)
    +#define OFXTRANSACTIONNAMELENGTH (96 + 1)
    #define OFX
    UNIQUEIDLENGTH (32 + 1)
    #define OFXUNIQUEIDTYPELENGTH (10 + 1)
    #define OFXSECNAMELENGTH (32 + 1)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the patch. Indeed, the libofx library should allow larger field lengths. In fact, the source code of libofx shouldn’t rely on fixed maximum field sizes anyway, but currently the source code still does it. Sorry for that.

Your patch is now in the libofx git repository so that it will be in the next release, libofx-0.9.6. Unfortunately, I’m not its maintainer (but Benoit is), so I can’t tell when there will be a release.

20. I would like the ability to create a listing of my current monthly bills, then add them to the check register with the updated amounts I owe

I would like the ability to create a listing of my current monthly bills, then add them to the check register with the updated amounts I owe, then I can add them to my register and update the amounts instead of having to manually add them every month.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?