Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

455 results found

1. transaction status "pending"

1. In addition to "n", "c" and "y" in the status indicator, I would like a "p" for pending. I understand I would have to manually mark the "pending" transactions myself. I would like for GnuCash to change "p" transactions to a "c" during a successful import match just like they change "n" transactions to "c" now.
    2. I would like to have a function that would show me a Bank-Agrees-with-Me-Balance or QuickBalance that calculates a balance by reading transactions beginning on a date I choose or since the last Reconciliation, and goes through the latest transaction. Bank-Agrees-with-Me-Balance would exclude "n" transactions…
    1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Please develop some working kind of roll-up feature!!

I want to be able to save my accounts, then roll-up to create a new set of accounts for the new business year, I also want to define the business year dates myself.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. need to be able to attach a bank, cash, or credit card transaction to a customer or job as billable

A bill can be used, but this is very clumsy. An expense should be able to be marked as billable.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Support for templates of national accounting systems

The possibility to create/allow the users to create a template according to the national accounting system from his/her country, with account codes and names - so that each user doesn't have to create hundreds of accounts manually, having the possibility to use that template from start. Unfourtunately, it would have to be somehow updateable...

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Provide additional choices in the "Action" box.

Choices that I believe would be helpful are the following: Charge (for example, on a credit card account), Credit (already provided), Payment (for example, by check), Receipt, Deposit (such as a non-ATM deposit or a direct deposit to one's checking account), Withdrawal, Transfer In, Transfer Out, Auto Debit (for example, a utility company automatically debiting one's checking account for a monthly utility bill), and Bill Pay (using a bank's bill-pay service to pay bills rather than writing a check for this purpose).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Provide for automatic correction when amounts are recorded incorrectly as debits or credits.

Whenever a transaction is recorded in the "Action" box as a particular type, such as "Charge" or "Credit" on a credit card account, program GnuCash so that the amount of the charge or credit must be placed in the correct column. For example, whenever an entry is for a charge to a credit card account, do not allow the amount of the charge to be incorrectly entered in the "Debit" column.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. calculate sales tax in auto fill

Most transactions I enter are
    Cash: -X
    Taxes:payed: X19%
    Expenses:ABC19%: X
    81%

or
    Bank: X
    Taxes:received: -X19%
    Income:jobA19%: -X
    81%

having to use the calculator for every single line on your account statement and every piece of paper taxes twice as much time as entering that number and the first characters of the description.
    I could do my monthly tax statements in 1/3 the time if it would remember Expenses:ABC19% and Income:jobA19% to be linked to a given tax value.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. New plot style - lines

Appart from Pie Chart and Bar Graph, if would be interesting to be able to plot with simple line with time (with dots at periods)

Also with the option of a logarithmitic Y scale to compare large and small value account variations.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. vendor account numbers

In Vendor setup allow for an account number.
    If you do business often with a vendor you have an account number. This should be stored with the vendor information and appear automatically on an new bill when that vendor is called up. It should also appear on any payment made to that vendor.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. While open the GNU cash main window there should be a option to select the account. Like a drop down list to select the file.

While open the GNU cash main window(not open the account directly ) there should be a option to select the account. Like a drop down list to select the file.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Provide spreadsheet data extraction API

A method to allow a spreadsheet (MS Excel or OO Calc) to extract specific data from specific accounts, such that the spreadsheet can be used to provide different views of the available data.
    For instance, I use GnuCash to keep track of my investment properties, but the only way I could figure to set up the accounts is by what each account was for (Expenses > Maintenance; Expenses > Bank Transfer Fees; etc.), with each property having a sub-account (Expenses > Maintenance > Property 1; Expenses > Maintenance > Property 2; etc.). Thus, I can't gather together from within GnuCash…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Transfer field alignment setup in the register views

Corresponding bugzilla item: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=700408

The content of the Transfer column in all the Register views is right-aligned, and this cannot be changed.
    It would be preferable to have the alignment setup controlled by the user according to their personal preference. I think the right-alignment choice was motivated by the designer's need to have
    the most relevant information remain visible all the time, especially when the account names are too long and the view cannot be widened beyond certain limit. However, left-aligned text is much easier to read and browse through. Also, the current large screens are much more widespread nowadays…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Provide support for importing historic stock quotes

Quotes are now downloaded through the perl libary Finance::Quote. I would appreciate the ability to to download historic quote information (through Finance::QuoteHist, for example) so I can better see (for example) net worth accurately over time. Timespans could be typed or selectable via calendar widgets, and existing quote data be ignored or overwritten if data exists on any particular date.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Macros

We need a simple macro facility. For example, I have international transactions. The process of calculating exchange rates and so forth is very straightforward, but tedious. I currently use a calculator. How cooler to have a simple macro facility? Click a button and just have it happen. It's not rocket science, just 1.61xX kind of stuff

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Implement the tips window in a separate thread

Currently the tips window is unusable while the app continues to load, which takes a good 30 seconds on my (slow) machine. Would be nice to be able to review the tips in that time.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Option to chose the style of currency symbols

Add an option to choose the display mode of currency symbols (i.e. ISO codes or symbols). I've been using GnuCash for years with multiple currencies and I really prefer to use the ISO names instead of the symbols. I've noted also that, since recent versions, GnuCash favor the use of symbols and, when a symbol is not available for a given currency, the ISO name is printed/shown just to the left of the numeric value without spaces.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow transactions to be hidden from Reconcile window

It is common, when budgeting, to notionally 'move' money around (say into Reserve accounts) by Crediting the Bank account and Debiting a reserve account.

This allows the Bank account to always show the 'real' money available rather than the actual value within the bank.

At the moment, creating these transactions to notionally 'move' money around also makes them show up in the Reconcile window. This leaves a lot of unwanted entries to scroll through when reconciling actual (real) bank transactions.

I suggest an extra option under the R column to mark an entry as 'hidden' (or 'virtual', 'ignored', or whatever…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. categorize the Mac build as public.app-category.finance

Applications folders in OS X get large quickly because people don't usually subfolder them. View --> Arrange by Application Category makes it easier, but if there's no LSApplicationCategoryType key in the app's info.plist, the app is sorted into "Other" at the bottom. https://developer.apple.com/library/Mac/releasenotes/General/SubmittingToMacAppStore/#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40010572-CH16-SW8

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add way to attach Check Image to items; images remain hidden unless the cell is selected. Some report supporting.

Images could be left in flat file and stored by reference. Support for a good compression file type, setting and reduction to b/w might make them more managably small. An images supporting report can print each check below the item on the same page.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?