Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

88 results found

1. SX transaction template vs. red line

The tx-template in the sx-editor currently respects the setting for days-before-readonly. So, if you enable the red line, you will not be able to edit the template for a scheduled transaction after some days.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Persistent 'double line' setting in accounts receivable/payable

When in the Account Receivable/Payable window I had to click View > Double line every time to collapse the register. Suggest to make this setting persistent

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. easy to use forum on gnucash.org

I'd like a single place, on the home website, where I can go to talk directly to other gnucash users and developers. Why not put a forum in at forums.gnucash.org?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Because we have a long-established and very active community on our mailing lists.
    Establishing a web forum would mean two places; making the web forum the “single place” would mean shutting down those long-established and active mailing lists.

If you prefer a web-forum format to email, try Nabble (http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/)

4. Allow transactions to be scheduled for a multiple of weeks.

I have transactions that occur in 3 week and 8 week intervals and I would love to be able to schedule them that way.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Hide imbalance accounts if they amount to ZERO

It would be nice to have the option to auto-hide accounts that have a balance of ZERO.

This would be particularly useful for imbalance accounts, as they clutter up the accounts list and are often not used... yet they should show up (perhaps in red) when they are not balanced to alert the user to the need to balance accounts.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Sembra che l'indirizzo BITCOIN non funzioni!

Ho provato l'indirizzo che punta a BITCOIN ma il browser risponde con "indirizzo non interpretabile"

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Installment forcast or matureness

Suppose you buy a Computer for $1000 worth by incurring a credit card installment of 10 payments of $100.
    The computer value imediately becomes part of you Fixed Assets, and you incurred a debt of $ 1000.
    After the first payment you have a Fixed Asset of $1000, a debt of $900 and $100 on equity.

This feature would help you to realize what are the sources of resources compoundig your Assets, as well would help you to track future expenses, make a true financial planning and is completely different of schedulled transactios for at least two reasons: first, by…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

No, this is exactly the scenario that Scheduled Transactions are designed for. You add the asset balanced by the liability, then create an SX to make the payments according to the schedule. There’s even a Mortgage Assistant to help you set everything up.

8. Pre-check outstanding items in reconcile window

The reconcile function asks for a date/value before showing the reconcile window.

If there are a large number of items to reconcile, it is painful to click each item and check it off (even if using the arrow keys/space bar)

Can the reconcile window "pre-check" all the items up to the date the user has entered? This allows the user to unselect a smaller number of items that are not part of the reconcile, instead of selecting a large number that are.

For example: I get a bank statement from my bank. I enter the some of items from the…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The request to pre-check fully automatically will not be implemented however because it is backwards from a typical reconcile scenario and would confuse way more users than it would benefit.

The above workaround can be used by those who wish to work the other way around.

9. Program some sort of toggle that will enable one to grey out previously reconciled entries.

To make old entries stand out, why not include a check box or something that will make these visually different. This can be turned on or off as needed.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow adding notes and comments to graphs

Able to comment why there are certain trends in graphs. This way you will be able to understand historic trends why suddenly there was an increase/decrease in cashflow for example.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your request.

Unfortunately this is outside the scope of gnucash. GnuCash is not meant to permanently save a report in. It will only allow you to generate reports based on the data available.

If you wish to add notes or comment, I suggest you export your reports to html (or pdf even) and add these notes and comments via an external program, such as Excel, Libreoffice or Adobe Acrobat.

11. Bring back the old register

The one in 2.5.2 (win32) is horribly slow, ugly, and has a few bad behaviors. It took me a few minutes to enter one transaction (my paycheck), which involves Alt+Tabbing back and forth from GnuCash to the browser to retrieve values. The value you're editing becomes inactive when you move to a different window, and if you start typing when you switch back to GnuCash it acts like a search rather than entering your amount. Also, math isn't calculated when you tab out of the field, which makes it tough to tell how much is remaining to split.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m afraid this will not happen. The old register is a dead end as it’s based on libraries that have been deprecated for a while. If we stick to it, that would effectively mean we would have to maintain this extra code and keep it compatible with the rest of gtk. We don’t have enough man power to do so.

Let me also point out that 2.5.2 is a development release, not a stable one. As such the the new register in 2.5.2 is a work in progress, not the final version. Unfortunately 2.5.3 will not see many improvements.

Other than that I fully agree that the new register code is not ready yet for release. The base is there, but it needs a lot of tweaking and optimisation. I don’t think 2.6 will be released before this has seen some significant improvements.

12. Reports export protection

Many times we need to exchange files with accountants / auditors especially if they are not in house. For that the report export to HTML is a good option ... but if we can export the report to PDF with a password protection then it would be even great ... no need for any encryption ... GNUCASH can provide export to PDF option with password protection as this is a built in feature of PDF ...

I know that GNUCASH developers do not want to focus on SECURITY but this is a feature request and security is built in facility…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m afraid your use case is not general enough to be implemented in our software. There is HTML export and PDF export, but your idea to have that exported file added with a password protection will not be solved within our software. Sorry.

13. Fix readability bug of highlighted menu items

In current 2.4.11 Windows version, when you hover on a menu item on the main menu bar, the background changes to dark blue while the foreground font color is still black, making the current item totally unreadable. I suggest we also change the foreground font color to white, which is very common in almost every other software, eg. firefox, notepad, to name a few.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add an IOS app for the Apple Iphone/Ipad users

Add an IOS app for the Apple Iphone / Ipad users which can sync with the desktop version of GNU cash.

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Provide an official XML schema

Provide an official, commented XML, definite schema (XSD) for others to write compatible apps. (e.g. for Android)
    That's also a good idea for documentation and to verify file integrity.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There is an informative RELAX NG schema that describes the current xml file format, which you can use to learn about the xml file format.

It is however impossible to code various accounting constraints in such an xml schema (eg to enforce each transaction has a zero balance). For this reason it is formally strongly discouraged to use any external tool to modify the xml data, unless it does so via the GnuCash api.

So there is no incentive for the GnuCash developers to spend more effort on a more elaborate xml schema.

16. 4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Contrary to HBCI, the other protocol you mentioned is not freely available and hence it is not possible for an open-source project to implement this. Sorry.

17. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your suggestion.

Unfortunately this one is declined for the following reasons:
    - every operating system that runs gnucash comes by default with a standard calculator built in.
    - most fields in gnucash that allow you to enter numbers will evaluate simple calculations on the fly
    - lastly, adding a built-in calculator means another complex piece of code to maintain which adds relatively little benefit given the two previous points. For that our development team is simply too small.

So no standard calculator in gnucash. Feel free however to make other feature requests !

18. Provide a "Notes" or "Memo" box for each "Description" on a split transaction.

For people who use the "Description" box to record the place (for example, the store, business, or bank) where the transaction occurred, a "Memo" or "Notes" box for each split would be useful for describing, in particular, what that part of the transaction was for.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I believe this feature is already available in GnuCash.
    Each split has a memo field that can be used the add more details. This field becomes visible in split view.
    In addition each transaction also has a notes field for adding extra details. This field becomes visible in double-line mode.

19. Primary key "Date (Month)" in sorting for user report

It might be helpfull to get a overview of the monthly costs to enable a primary sorting not only for a day, but furthermore for a month in addition to the monthly subtotal. So you can see the total costs of e.g. you insurance for every month directly followed by the refuel costs, even though they have charged it from your depot on different days:

E.g.
    01.01. - insurance1 - depot:insurance - xx.xx €
    03.01. - shell - depot:refuelCar - zz.zz €
    04.01. - insurance2 - depot:insurance - yy.yy €
    01.02. - insurance1 - depot:insurance - xx.xx €

For…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your request.

However, as far as I can see this can already be accomplished with the current sort options.

Here is how:
    Primary sort key: Date
    Uncheck primary subtotal
    Secondary sort key: Depot
    Check secondary subtotal
    Set secondary subtotal for date key to “Monthly”

20. Support Armenian currency

Hello,

My name is Ruben.

Currently I am considering using GNU Cash for doing accounting in an Armenian IT company. Unfortunately Armenian currency is not supported in GNU Cash and therefore I can't go ahead with considering functionality/usability of your SW.

Looking forward to any idea comment.

Thanks,
    Ruben

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As far as I can see, the Armenian Dram (AMD) is supported in GnuCash. I can select it from the list of available currencies when creating a new account for example. If it is not available on your system, then there is a problem with your specific installation and this becomes a support question instead of a feature request.

In that case please contact the gnucash-user@gnucash.org mailing list to sort out the issue on your computer (see http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more info on that mailing list) . But please do specify there which version of GnuCash you are using and on what operating system.

Thank you.

• Don't see your idea?

Feature Request

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base