Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

5 results found

1. CSV and Other Import

Currently the CSV (and other like QIF) import dialog is very strict and gives NO facility for MAPPING of accounts to CSV columns etc.
    No info on whether to put last column in csv as expenses:OfficeExpenses or only OfficeExpenses? and then whether gnucash is configured to show
    only last of account names or fully qualified names. I tried BOTH combinations, still gnucash Fails EVERYTIME to map accounts.
    behaviour I saw was - it maps ALL the entries to one account ( like all csv rows to Office_Expenses !!!)

Then - in last import dialog, we get mapped (or…

145 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you all for the feedback.

The csv importer is currently being improved on the development branch. Several of the missing parts mentioned here are already being addressed, such as:

- ability to select transfer account
    - ability to import files exported from gnucash
    - remember account mappings for a future import

2. Reporting: multiple periods

Could reporting be enhanced to show multiple periods on one report (e.g. income and expenses shown monthly on one page)?

76 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Gnucash currently provides Experimental Balance and Income Statement (= Profit & Loss) reports that support displaying multiple columns.

They are still experimental because of some glitches with price calculations case of multi-currency or stock market scenarios. If you don’t have those, the experimental reports probably will give you what you need.

3. Run back-end in a server mode to make Web interface or third party integration easier

Separate then front-end (UI) and back-end (core) to make the UI be possible replaced by Web interface or other third-party integration.

I have been using GnuCash in my small business for many years and I love it. However, it's a bit hard to do customization like Australia ATO BAS report etc.

If the backend can be seperated from the front-end then it will be much easier to extend it's functionality. For example, I can make a small tool to interact with the back-end directly while keep the current UI unchanged.

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’re working on it, but our predecessors made some bad design decisions and so there’s core code in UI files where it doesn’t belong. It’s going to take a while to get that untangled.

In the meantime you can write custom reports in Scheme and use the Scheme, Python, or C bindings to work with the engine objects. We use “backend” to refer to data storage, either SQL or XML. If you select a SQL backend (File>Save As, select SQL at the top of the dialog box) you can then use SQL queries to extract data and create reports.

4. look up vendor addresses when printing checks

I print to many of the same vendors every month, using preprinted checks and window envelopes. I can print the check, but must fill in the address on every check. If there were a lookup of the vendor table and fill in the address, it would greatly simplify check printing. I would pay for this feature.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  4 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. create an option to define what type of commodity prices are being imported.

Once a week I download the week ending prices of all the stocks that I have owned to a csv file. Almost all of them import well. 2 do not. Those two are COP and ADP, because GnuCash assumes both are currencies.

i.e.
    My CSV file has Conoco Phillips (COP) price and GnuCash assigns the value to Columbian Peso (COP)

I would like an option to say that all of the imported prices are stocks, or to ignore currencies. Maybe a pop-up window asking what the individual price is associated with when there are multiple commodities with the same ticker.…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Request