Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

61 results found

1. Main window does not minimize on taskbar button click

Clicking on the taskbar button will only maximize window, does not minimize window. Have to use "-" on window to minimize.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. menus auf deutsch

Hallo, ich habe mehrmals Gnucash von deutschen Websites heruntergeladen, aber das ganze programm ist auf englisch. Warum wird dann das Programm als Deutsch angeboten ? Muss man jedes Konto und jeden Begriff von Hand auf Deutsch umstellen ? Ist noch niemand drauf gekommen, dass die deutsche Buchhaltung andere Begriffe verwendet ? Eine wirklich deutsche version ist das nicht, da ist alles auf die USA zugeschnitten. Für die amis.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Make PDF Icon

In version 4.1 on the reports page we had an icon called " Make PDF". In version 4.4 that is missing and I can't seem to find a way to make a report in PDF in the new version. It only does dthat in an HTML format.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Why you stop with the development? :-(

Hello! why did you leave us orphans without making any more improvements in gnucash android mobile? Simple items such as "cost center" (tag for transactions) and new reports as one of expenses and revenues at least. Sad that, see? I could charge, people would pay for this little news. Gnucash is fantastic on android.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, I agree it's nice to have an Android companion for GnuCash.

Unfortunately maintenance of such an app takes time and the single developer that created and maintained the project apparently no longer has the time or motivation to continue (that's not me by the way).

Keep in mind GnuCash for Android has always been a project independent of the main GnuCash project. While it aims to work together with GnuCash it doesn't share any code with it. None of the GnuCash developers was directly involved (other than in the initial mentoring of the GfA developer) and unfortunately none of the GnuCash developers has enough time and/or motivation to take over maintenance of the GnuCash for Android project.

Of course any one is free to step in and pick up where the original developer abandoned the project. So far that didn't happen unfortunately.

5. We Definitely Need to Fix the Font Size Selection to be More User Friendly.

We are not trying to launch rockets into space. We just want to change the font size. Let's get this much needed feature added. It has been requested by many people for years and it is still not there. Come on folks, this is a super basic feature. My eyes hurt trying to read the small font size.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Built-in PDF export

Gnucash should have a built-in PDF generator, allowing to customize some aspects you can't manipulate when using an external PDF printer - like when you want to print out a specific period of time of transactions within an account (e.g. starting day X and ending day Y).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. How does one move transactions up or down. Some people say is it is possible but no how-to is available

move transaction rows up or down within transactions of the same date

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

It’s implemented in the unstable versions that will become the next stable series. There, you have right-click items “move up / move down”. In the current 2.6.x stable series the feature is not yet there, but it will appear in the next versions.

8. Remove PERL version dependency

Please remove Finance::Quote PERL version dependency. GC is often behind versions. E.g. If I install today, cannot download free Perl 5.12 from ActiveState site (only 5.14 now)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for the link.

While I would have preferred if the seller at least referred to the gnucash project in a way, he is in no way required to do so.

The GPL explicitly allows commercial use of the sources. The only requirement the seller has is to provide the full source code upon request to users of his binary packages. As long as he properly does so he’s not violating the GPL. And only his customers can test that.

The gnucash project is also not against commercial initiatives involving our software in general.

We only hope that the seller does a decent job in satisfying his customers. It would be a pity if such an isolated initiative would hurt the gnucash project itself due to misleading activities. So far there is no evidence of such activity.

10. Add days of the week to header row of 'Upcoming Transactions'

Within the Scheduled Transactions tab, the upcoming transactions calendar shows the month on the left hand side.
    It would be really useful if it showed the day of week (Mon, Tues, Wed, etc) across the top of each table.
    At present it's not clear if the week starts with Sunday or Monday.
    Thank you.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your request.

I’m not sure which version of GnuCash you were using when you filed this request. However in GnuCash 2.6.x, I see these headers at the top of my Upcoming Transactions calendar, so I consider this complete.

If I’m mistaken, please feel free to provide more detail.

11. I would like the ability to create a listing of my current monthly bills, then add them to the check register with the updated amounts I owe

I would like the ability to create a listing of my current monthly bills, then add them to the check register with the updated amounts I owe, then I can add them to my register and update the amounts instead of having to manually add them every month.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. An error occurred during the processing of the file

I can not open the file in Gnucash 2.6.0. I do not have this problem in Gnucash 2.4.13. I'm running Win 8.1. Is the latest version of Gnucash supports the Win 8.1?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Tracking Last Reconcile

I used to use Microsoft Money and it would keep track of the last date that a reconcile was done. So, every time I went to reconcile the checking account, it would give me the date of the last reconcile and the amount. I liked this feature because I don't wait for statements to reconcile to. I reconcile to the online activity whenever I get a chance to sit down and work on it. Having a reminder of the last date the account was reconciled makes it easier to find the transaction that I need to start on in the…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your suggestion.

However this is already possible in GnuCash. I can give you two options:

1. Open the register for your checking account. There is a reconcile column in there (on character wide) with one of 3 characters in it (in English)
    n – not reconciled
    c – cleared (ie manually marked as ok, but not verified)
    y – reconciled
    It suffices to look for the last row with a “y” in the reconcile column and read the balance at that date.

2. On the account hierarchy page, click on the down-arrow in the top right corner. This will reveal a list of available (an visible) columns. Select the columns
    Reconciled
    Last Reconcile date
    And you will have the information available at a glance for all your accounts in one page.

14. sorting option for the entry "Transfer"

Why is there no sorting option for the entry "Transfer" ?
    When reviewing entries, this would be very useful!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. OFX Importable number of characters for NAME is too short

OFX Importable number of characters for NAME is 32.
    But it is 10 at multibyte language.(1 character == 3 bytes at multibyte characters on UTF8)
    Isn't it extended?

example patch for libofx

--- inc/libofx.h.in~ 2011-04-17 02:10:20 +0900
    +++ inc/libofx.h.in 2013-03-25 18:50:29 +0900
    @@ -70,7 +70,7 @@
    #define OFXACCOUNTIDLENGTH (OFXBANKIDLENGTH + OFXBRANCHIDLENGTH + OFXACCTIDLENGTH + 1)
    #define OFX
    ACCOUNTNAMELENGTH 255
    #define OFXMARKETINGINFOLENGTH (360 + 1)
    -#define OFX
    TRANSACTIONNAMELENGTH (32 + 1)
    +#define OFXTRANSACTIONNAMELENGTH (96 + 1)
    #define OFX
    UNIQUEIDLENGTH (32 + 1)
    #define OFXUNIQUEIDTYPELENGTH (10 + 1)
    #define OFXSECNAMELENGTH (32 + 1)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the patch. Indeed, the libofx library should allow larger field lengths. In fact, the source code of libofx shouldn’t rely on fixed maximum field sizes anyway, but currently the source code still does it. Sorry for that.

Your patch is now in the libofx git repository so that it will be in the next release, libofx-0.9.6. Unfortunately, I’m not its maintainer (but Benoit is), so I can’t tell when there will be a release.

16. do not duplicate the account name in the description field and avoid polluting the description field with irrelevant information.

It is much better if the description field contains only informmation worth reading, if all description fields are pre-filled with the account name you end up not reading the description anymore because it won't seem worth the time spent reading it.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In 2.6.x this seems to be no issue any more. When selecting a category, only the category description is given in the description field. There are no accounts (or even account descriptions) in there (any more).

So this should be solved. If not, feel free to correct me, and make me understand better.

Thank you for your request.

17. Add cleared balance column and check box

Allows user to reconcile running balance to daily bank transactions (check against online banking rather than end of month statement) but also see an overall balance of current and future transactions i.e. bills that are entered in to be paid, but not yet cleared. In short, a how much money I have, how much money the bank says I have right now.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add new ISO code for Zambia: ZMW

I am in Zambia and need the ISO code ZMW for the rebased currency effective 1st Jan 2013. I want to treat this as a new currency so that I can maintain my records in the old (ZMK) and new currencies.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Say on your download site whether GC is compatible with Windows 8

Say on your download site whether GC is compatible with Windows 8. I cannot find it anywhere

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your request. Windows 8 had already been added in the download link some time ago. At this point Windows 10 is already in the wild and there have been several reports of successful use of gnucash on that platform. , So I have just updated the link to mention that as well.

20. Add 'Delete Budget' as a menu item, rather than having a button

Currently budgets can only be delete by a button within the budget. This is very hard to find for beginners. It should be a menu item similar to "New Budget", "Open Budget" and "Duplicate Budget". Actually not having it in there made be believe for a long time that you couldn't delete budgets...

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?