Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

457 results found

1. Add / change keyboard shortcut for productivity, into standard like MS Excel or alike

It would be nice to add or change current keyboard shortcut to any existing software, so user feel no difference when switching from one software to another.

For example, using Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn to switch between tabs. This has been used by MS Excel, or browser like Firefox or Chrome. In GNUCash, we use Ctrl+Alt+PgUp/PgDn, which differ in one key (Alt).

Another example in Excel, Ctrl+Home to go to top row / earliest transaction.

I guess this additional feature can give more values for user experience and productivity to GNUCash .

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Report option to report the MF/Stocks transaction with lot details.

Currently the Advanced Portfolio Reports / Transaction Reports for Mutual Funds / Stocks report only the consolidated gain loss per MF/ Stock. Given the tax structure in various countries, it would be benefecial to have the lot details as well. Eg in India, the taxation changes with the duration of holding the fund as well as the type of fund. Reporting the lot details will enable easy tax calculation in a spreasheet.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. allow to sort accounts by total in income & expense statement

Presently, in the income & expense statement report, the income accounts are sorted alphabetically. I suggest they could be sorted by decreasing total, so that the most significant amount appears first. (the same for expense accounts)

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I am a new adopter of GnuCash and I must say it is incredible! Thank you for developing! What I want is a future balance predictor

I have entered every bit of my financial life in to gnucash. Since most of my transactions are automated I have entered them in scheduled transactions. It is now 12/30/15. What I would like to see is some sort of feature where I could input date 1/31/16 and see what my asset and liability balances would be at that time once all of my scheduled transactions for that period ran. If you could make that, it would be awesome! Thanks.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. A heresy: optionally merge credit/debit columns into one, use negative/positive numbers instead

It seems to be a tradition in accounting to use negative numbers as rarely as possible. But the columns credit/debit (or in other incarnations deposit/withdrawal, spend/receive, ...) are in my view just confusing. In the end you either add or subtract to an account, so there is no point in having one column for subtraction and other column for addition.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Save different sets of columns with different Accounts tabs

Although one can set up multiple Accounts tabs with different filters applied (for example, have a cash flow tab for Income/Expense accounts, separate from an balance sheet tab for Asset/Liability accounts), it's less useful than one would like, because the set of columns used with each is ideally different (for example, Total (Period) for cash flow, versus Present for balance sheet).

Although one can configure different columns on different tabs, it doesn't stick. After exiting and reopening the program, whatever columns open apply to all tabs.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Have a Minimum Balance setting for accounts

(Perhaps just for checking and savings accounts)

I'd like to be able to specify the Minimum Balance for an account. In the register view the balance would be displayed in red whenever it was below the minimum balance amount, the way it currently does if the balance is below zero.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Provide an archive function

From what I can tell, the only way to effectively do an archive is to open a new account -- pick the day you want to start "as of", then place the opening balance that the account had as of that date. Then copy over the transactions into the new account. The "old" account would have all transaction before the "as of" date, and the "new" account would have all the transaction after the as of date. It's a lot of work. An archive function would be so much nicer. That way, I could get rid of transactions that are…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. transaction report monthly subtotal for income and expenses

For a transaction report set to display monthly income and expenses, please permit separation of income accounts from expense accounts and monthly subtotals for income and for expenses.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Split toggle button (expand/collapse all transactions)

I use the "Transaction Journal" style (Prefs > Register Defaults > Default Style) to constantly compare splits between months.

Although this mode is the most useful to me, as the transactions start increasing, it becomes tedious to find a specific transaction and overwhelming to look at all the available information when you're scrolling through.

It would be extremely useful to have a toolbar button that toggles between the existing "Basic Ledger" and "Transaction Journal" modes, which would act as a "Collapse All" / "Expand All" option for all available transactions.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add a Toolbar Button to toggle Double Line Mode

I find myself frequently switching between single and double line mode when viewing my transaction registers so that I can either see the Notes field, or hide it so I can see more transactions at once. Navigating through the View menu to do this slows me down quite a bit. It would be nice if there were a Toolbar button for this. Alternatively, or in addition, perhaps a keyboard shortcut for toggling Double Line mode could be added.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Include Customer Number as an optional field for Customer Listing and Customer Summary reports

I use the business functions in GnuCash, and regularly need to export customer account data to use in other applications. Currently, the easiest way to do this seems to be by using the customer/Vendor Listing, Customer/Vendor Summary, and Receivables/payables aging reports, but there is no way to include the customer or vendor numbers, which are a much more robust key field than the customer name.

Is it possible to include the number field in these reports?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Sort transactions by just the date, not number.

The current default sorting order sorts the transactions by date. But when a transaction has a check number, it sends that transaction to the end of that day. This messes up the entire order and the only solution is to add numbers to the rest of the transactions made on the same date.

I suggest a sorting order which sorts the transactions as and when they're added. Even if a transaction has a check number, it should stay in the same order as it was added.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. How can I make the Account Register's left panel show an Account Tree

How can I make the Account Register's left panel show an Account Tree, like the one in Quicken Check Register? Despite having plenty of space, GnuCash's Account tree is on a separate tab from the check register. Quicken's account tree is on the left panel, beside the Check Register.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Autofill - Stop it Entirely

I don't need it. It enters wrong amounts. Uses old misspelling. I can type fast enough that I don't need autofill. It actually takes me more time to have to go back and correct things or realize when reconciling that autofill went ahead and entered the wrong amount even when I entered the correct one. IT IS WORTHLESS.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add an option to modify default selected accounts for reports

Whenever I create a new report, I always have to go into the report options and modify the accounts to display to get a meaningful report. It would be nice to be able to save a new default.

Specifics:
    Currently the default accounts to display for a Cash Flow report are those located under: "Assets" and "Imbalance". That shows my income just fine, but the expenses are less meaningful. I always need to manually add "Liabilities" and "Transfers" to show details about where I spent money with my credit cards.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Bulk Change Income and Expense categories on QIF import

When importing files from QIF, accounts and sub accounts are broken out individually. It would be a good feature to have the ability to group select or move accounts and sub accounts to a different place in the account hierarchy all at once.

Example:
    Auto -> Expenses:Auto
    Auto:car1 -> Auto:car1
    Auto:car2 -> Auto:car2
    Auto:car3 -> Auto:car3

I would like to be able to select the car1/2/3 sub accounts and move them under the Expenses:Auto account as a singular action during the import setup.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add "Granularity" Option to "Future Scheduled Transaction Summary" Report.

For my original request details pls refer to "Bug 638644 - (Steffie) Scheduled Transactions need incorporation into Budget".

I raised my original request when i used v2.4.0, but months ago i upgraded to
    v2.4.2 when i read that one of its enhancements was "Add a new report: Future Scheduled Transaction Summary". I thought this might address my previous
    request, above. However it merely presents a summary for the specific items at the end of the nominated period [eg, end of month / year etc], and completely
    omits all the interim ups and downs that are so critical to active budgeting.…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Tracking Liability Repayments as Expenses without Double Counting them

It would be great to have an expense report that could actually count transactions moved directly from assets to offset liabilities. I find it that i need to create an expense account, then zero it out in order not to double count it. I want to see all expenses, plus debt repayment expenses that go directly from assets into liabilities in one report.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Design aging reports to include all payable accounts or all receivable accounts

Currently, aging reports default to only accounts payable or accounts receivable. This report should include all children accounts under AP for payable aging and all children accounts under AR for receivables aging.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?