Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

1. Lazy report/chart generation during startup

When one does not close report/chart tabs before exit, next start up all reports/charts are regenerated during the startup. It dramatically slows down startup.

I suggest to implement lazy report/chart generation. Meaning the report/chart is calculated when it needs to be displayed, so during startup only if it is selected tab or later when user switch to the tab with report/chart.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Streamline Scheduled Transactions Handling

Current 'Since Last...' is awkward at best. There is no visible mechanism to enter a transaction early, and postponing transactions does not always work right and the setup requires going through three pages, none of which show all the important variables.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Improved Job Expense & Invoice Tracking

Running a service oriented business, it is imperative for me to be able to quickly and accurately tie together all expenses and payments received related to a specific job to be sure that all expenses are invoiced to the job and to determine profitability. Secondly, to be able to quickly see the status of all jobs for a specific customer. This would require being able to associate all related expenses, vendor bills, and invoices to the job. Then, a modification to the "Job Report" to show all activity for the job.

To be able to quickly see the status of…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Multi-year comparison report

Is there a way to generate a multi-year report comparing multiple years in one report? Only way I've been able to do anything remotely close is to generate multiple reports and cycling between the tabs but it would be nice to be able to have all the information on one report separated by columns.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Implement support for stock options

While fewer of us have earned stock options through our employers lately, they're a piece of my net worth which I cannot represent in GnuCash. Though an option is an option, most folks consider exercising as possible anytime, with the value being the current shares * (current price - strike price), but 0 when < 0. I don't mind doing manual entry of grants, vests, or expires. Thank you!

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add a right-click option for jumping to an invoice/bill that a transaction refers to.

Similar to how you can right-click and jump to the other account that a transaction refers to, but have another option to instead be able to jump to the invoice/bill that the transaction refers to.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. bank account for invoice printing

I use gnucash 2.2.9 for multiple companies.

There is no way to include bank account details for customers to make a direct deposit. I can't modify templates or invoice scheme files to include a hard coded bank account as I process many companies with different bank accounts.

I have hacked the report to get the payment bank account from the web site url field in File Properties.

Can we get a formal primary bank account field for payments and maybe some user data fields for each set of books.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add timesheet function

Add a process to record time spent on project and include/export that time to an invoice.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Run back-end in a server mode to make Web interface or third party integration easier

Separate then front-end (UI) and back-end (core) to make the UI be possible replaced by Web interface or other third-party integration.

I have been using GnuCash in my small business for many years and I love it. However, it's a bit hard to do customization like Australia ATO BAS report etc.

If the backend can be seperated from the front-end then it will be much easier to extend it's functionality. For example, I can make a small tool to interact with the back-end directly while keep the current UI unchanged.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’re working on it, but our predecessors made some bad design decisions and so there’s core code in UI files where it doesn’t belong. It’s going to take a while to get that untangled.

In the meantime you can write custom reports in Scheme and use the Scheme, Python, or C bindings to work with the engine objects. We use “backend” to refer to data storage, either SQL or XML. If you select a SQL backend (File>Save As, select SQL at the top of the dialog box) you can then use SQL queries to extract data and create reports.

10. Preserve Audit Trail: Option to disable modifying or editing reconciled transactions.

A journal entry should not be changed once it is written. One is supposed to write a correcting entry. This shows the error and the correction clearly. When journals were done by hand with ink pens one could be confident that one had a true record but with digital programs that is not the case. I know most programs allow you to go back, but that damages the audit trail. I'm suggesting a option to disable editing of entered and or reconciled transactions. Additionally one could have an option to show what entries had been changed. Finally one could have…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Create a Full Payroll system

need to organize the payroll so that it will be able to separate all the payroll basses on persons name without making a separate account for each p

erson and will automatically have fields for each of the tax sections that would be taken out that can be user defined like state tax1/2 local tax social security federal tax medicare tax unemployment taxes, 401k Deductions and other stuff like that

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. per-book accounting periods

At the moment, all sets of books operated by the same user (under Linux, at least, no idea how it works with Windows) share the same accounting period. Changing the accounting period on one set of books changes it for all. This means that to have different sets of books with different accounting periods, one must set up different users, which is a very clunky workaround. By all means set a user-wide default, which any new book acquires, but it should then be settable on a per-book basis. This may be a more general idea that might also satisfy the…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Create a report to show all unpaid invoices

I know its possible to get this data with the Find Invoice function, but that doesn't show the amount due, nor can I export the search results in any way other than by taking a screenshot. It would really be helpful.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. implement EU based VAT reports, including EU reverse charge and means for it.

EU is getting bigger and bigger. VAT reports are obligation of any VAT registered business. Small differences are from country to country, but VAT reports are really required. One has to implement the means or methods of preparation for such VAT reports and the VAT report itself, including the EU reverse charge report.

Implementing the recognition of countries is important. If the company is within EU, there shall be an automatic distinction between the EU companies outside of the local country and local country companies and non-EU companies, as that is required in VAT reports.

INTRASTAT as well.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. High DPI Support

It would be great if GnuCash would support high DPI screens. For example, my 13.3" laptop has a screen resolution of 3200x1800 and several elements of GnuCash's UI are close to invisible. This is a significant issue for many users, especially as screen DPIs continue to climb.

Gnome applications (I run Gnome shell on wayland) appear to scale very well. This gives me hope that high DPI issues in GnuCash can be addressed easily.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. implement standing orders via HBCI

Standing Orders (German: Daueraufträge) are not supported by GnuCash at the moment. But the underling libary AqBanking has support for it. It would be nice to have this feature in GnuCash.
    See Bugtracker for reference and more information: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=642123

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Find and Replace

The ability to find and replace values in the various fields would be quite useful in multiple scenarios.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. renaming rules or list

When importing transactions in QFX format, create renaming rules that, once created, automatically change the payee name to a "friendly name" of your choosing, so that when "CITY, ST, 9999, WAL-SAMS Wal Su" comes in, it is always recognized in imported simply as "Walmart"

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Permit the start and end of an accounting period to be specified as a particular day in the month, or as a particular date within the year

Pay day for many people does not fall on the last day of the month; it would therefore be helpful when producing reports for the start and end dates to use the "pay month".

Also here in the UK, the financial year (for income tax purposes) ends on the 5th April, so the ability to specify the accounting period as running from 6th April one year through to 5th April the following year would be a benefit to those of us who have to provide income tax data to HMRC.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Offer support to LUA scripting to report programming

It would be great to offer the possibility to extend GNU Cash by programming reports using LUA script language.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Request

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base