Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

1. crowdfunding for new features

on this site implement an " I would pay for this " vote button and see if some features are enough in demand to set up a crowdfunding page that would enable funds to pay for the work required

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Price Editor batch import for currencies

In my country Nicaragua, the central bank publish the exchange rate between USD and NIO, so we can get the value of 1 USD in NIOs with anticipation,

I was trying to use the Online Price Retrival, but it use yahoo fincances, the yahoo finances does not have choice of change to NIO currency.

I was thinking that it could be useful to import several exchange rate of multiple currencies at same time, using a csv file.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Provide for automatic correction when amounts are recorded incorrectly as debits or credits.

Whenever a transaction is recorded in the "Action" box as a particular type, such as "Charge" or "Credit" on a credit card account, program GnuCash so that the amount of the charge or credit must be placed in the correct column. For example, whenever an entry is for a charge to a credit card account, do not allow the amount of the charge to be incorrectly entered in the "Debit" column.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. A series of related ideas that will improve register readability and create a tagging mechanism

1. Add a notes column (narrow by default) to the "main" register display line. Monitors are wider and adding a narrow column should not hamper those who prefer double-line mode to see notes. But allowing for a notes field effectively doubles the number of transaction per screen for those for whom seeing notes is important. I have modified my source code to accomplish this, the chnage is trivial to implement.

2. Allow users to associate a foreground color with an account, that color whould be used for the acount name when displayed in a register. By allocating different colors to different types…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Provide an archive function

From what I can tell, the only way to effectively do an archive is to open a new account -- pick the day you want to start "as of", then place the opening balance that the account had as of that date. Then copy over the transactions into the new account. The "old" account would have all transaction before the "as of" date, and the "new" account would have all the transaction after the as of date. It's a lot of work. An archive function would be so much nicer. That way, I could get rid of transactions that are…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. transaction status "pending"

1. In addition to "n", "c" and "y" in the status indicator, I would like a "p" for pending. I understand I would have to manually mark the "pending" transactions myself. I would like for GnuCash to change "p" transactions to a "c" during a successful import match just like they change "n" transactions to "c" now.

2. I would like to have a function that would show me a Bank-Agrees-with-Me-Balance or QuickBalance that calculates a balance by reading transactions beginning on a date I choose or since the last Reconciliation, and goes through the latest transaction. Bank-Agrees-with-Me-Balance would exclude "n" transactions…
    1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Save report configurations, the style sheets, and general options relating to that db in the db. (Acc period, business name)

Some users want to have multiple gnucash databases and that they be portable. This means that certain options should be saved in or with the .gnucash file.
    eg.
    1. Accounting period.
    2. Currency
    3. Saved report configs
    4. Style sheets.

I would like to completely separate my gnucash databases
    But at present gnucash is almost unusable because of the disparity in what is saved to where. It doesnt allow for multiple gnucash files for different organisations.

Especially if I am setting it up to be used by someone else eventually.

I set up a report for my club ( images…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow batch export/printing of files associated with expenses/transactions over time range

One feature I utilize extensively is the "associate file with transaction", so that I have proof of an expense which I deduct against my income. However, for the benefit of someone ever being audited, one should be able to export a year of expenses, and have the receipts automatically labeled and exported in a graphical manner too. I currently use a set of python scripts I wrote to:
    1) Determine the transactions that occur over my desired range (i.e. Jan. 1 2016 to Dec. 31 2016).
    2) Converts the file for each receipt to a PDF with image magick, and…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Provide spreadsheet data extraction API

A method to allow a spreadsheet (MS Excel or OO Calc) to extract specific data from specific accounts, such that the spreadsheet can be used to provide different views of the available data.
    For instance, I use GnuCash to keep track of my investment properties, but the only way I could figure to set up the accounts is by what each account was for (Expenses > Maintenance; Expenses > Bank Transfer Fees; etc.), with each property having a sub-account (Expenses > Maintenance > Property 1; Expenses > Maintenance > Property 2; etc.). Thus, I can't gather together from within GnuCash…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow pasting of passwords for Online Account Actions (HBCI)

In preor versions credentials could be pasted in the confirmation dialogs. This feature made it convenient for the use of password managing programs which store secure passwords. Having to enter a password manually discurages the user to use secure passwords for their online accounts.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. vendor account numbers

In Vendor setup allow for an account number.
    If you do business often with a vendor you have an account number. This should be stored with the vendor information and appear automatically on an new bill when that vendor is called up. It should also appear on any payment made to that vendor.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. resend donation for gnucash

can we resend a donation done to gnucash in argenta bank to bank wich dont have internet transfert services in algeria

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. If I am editing a Transaction and I press the "Escape" Key, my pending edits are discarded.

If I am editing a Transaction and I press the "Escape" Key, my pending edits are discarded.

I can use this if I accidently make an edit

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. addition of addition columns in account form

I am happy gnucash user for last 6 years for small business. use it effectively for invoicing,tds etc. I also manage my Fixed Deposit accounts, bonds etc. It would be good to have extra columns to accomodate FD date,Maturity Date, interest rate, Interest periodicity. Now i put some of these in account code,desc,memo and run a custome report.. export to excel and use that for income tax income projection.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Enlarge Arrows to Change Month

In the date dialog box, the arrows on each side of the month should be enlarged. Many times when I click on an arrow, the dialog box disappears and the focus returns to the current month shown in the box.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Better sorting of scheduled transaction

Currently, scheduled trx editor sorts by next booking, even including non-active trx. I suggest that:
    - Non-active trx are moved to the end of the list.
    - Sorting order is saved (in the sense of e.g. alphabetcially descending)

The second item would be more important to me, but the first one is a nuissance too. Most of my inactive trx are quite old, so the "next transaction" is way in the past and therefore much earlier than any active trx, resulting in a long list of inactive trx, before I get to anything relevant.

Alternatively, I would suggest to allow…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. CSV Import to Liability Account - Column Naming for Debit/Credit

I import transactions from my CC statements and LOC accounts by using exported CSV files. The import dialog uses the terms "Withdrawal" and "Deposit" to indicate whether the transaction was a debit or credit. I found the terms a bit ambiguous when it referred to a liability account because, in my mind, a withdrawal could indicate a decrease in credit and a deposit could indicate an increase in credit.

I recommend that it should be possible to choose the wording for these column headings to debit/credit and that when a liability account is chosen the transactions are properly added as…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. saving

In Quicken there is the possiblitiy to tell the program that you would like to spent less money on a specific category. It would be nice GnuCash would give an alert if you spent "too much" for a specific category.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. need to be able to attach a bank, cash, or credit card transaction to a customer or job as billable

A bill can be used, but this is very clumsy. An expense should be able to be marked as billable.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Attach files or locations to Accounts

Recently the ability was added to attach files or Locations to a Transaction. It would be great if this was also possible for accounts (in case this is easier: Location would be enough). Often an account is related to a certain Folder, e.g. bills from one Company or bank Statements. In particular for bank Statements and credit Cards, you wouldn't want to attach the file to each trx, but rather be able to quickly open the Folder and open the document manually.

Best,

YeOldHinnerk

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Request