Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

1. Add way to attach Check Image to items; images remain hidden unless the cell is selected. Some report supporting.

Images could be left in flat file and stored by reference. Support for a good compression file type, setting and reduction to b/w might make them more managably small. An images supporting report can print each check below the item on the same page.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. When starting GnuCash, allow selection of any recently opened accounts

Gnucash opens with the last opened set of accounts. If then a new instance of Gnucash is started, you get a dialog complaining about lock, and gives option to Open anyway, Create new file, or Quit. It should also give option to open another set of accounts.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make currently open tab the default account when importing qif files

Add an option to set the gnu cash account to the current account tab when importing .qif files

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add Hierarchy to "Business" Records (Vendor/Customer/Employee)

I specifically need this for Vendors, but I can see how this would apply to Customers and Employees as well.

I want to keep individual Vendors separate, but at the same time be able to aggregate them for reports. For example, I want to know how much money I spend at Starbucks Store #123 and keep that separate from Starbucks Store #124. I also want to know how much I spend at Starbucks in general, so I would want stores #123 and #124 to be under Starbucks (just like how the Account list works). Each individual business has unique addresses…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Password e svecchiamento archivi

Inserire una password per l'accesso, e una possibilita' di svecchiare il pregresso ad una certa data

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Tracking Liability Repayments as Expenses without Double Counting them

It would be great to have an expense report that could actually count transactions moved directly from assets to offset liabilities. I find it that i need to create an expense account, then zero it out in order not to double count it. I want to see all expenses, plus debt repayment expenses that go directly from assets into liabilities in one report.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Not sound the error beep for every little thing

GNU Cash (running on Win10) keeps beeping on every little thing that is done for one's convenience. For example, if I hold down the backspace key to delete everything until the cursor hits the left edge, GNU Cash gives an error beep after the cursor hits the left edge. Or if the left or right arrow keys are kept depressed to reach the beginning or end of a line.

Error beeps get annoying for somethings that the user understands he/she is doing on purpose (this is done all the time in other programs).

Error beep should be reserved only for…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. About the financial calculator

Would it be possible to improve the financial calculator?
    It would be interresting to have more settings. Like in JxLIvret (http://www.cbanque.com/download/jxlivret.php)
    Thank you.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Implement Open Banking API for online accounts

There was already a request last December for implementing PSD2 in GnuCash, but this was declined as it is only a "legal framework" and not an API in and of itself. Now Nets have an API for their Open Banking solution which is in accordance with PSD2 and already implemented in many Nordic banks. There is even a sandbox available via their website:

https://www.nets.eu/solutions/open-banking-access

Will this be something that is a better candidate for future releases?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Sync android app with desktop

My request is a way to sync the app with the desktop version. I input data via my pc as it is much easier, but then I would like to sync my app to the desktop versoon so I can quickly check balances. As gnu cash lacks such a sync feature, I would switch to a different app if not for gnucash being the only app with sub accounts

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Provide additional choices in the "Action" box.

Choices that I believe would be helpful are the following: Charge (for example, on a credit card account), Credit (already provided), Payment (for example, by check), Receipt, Deposit (such as a non-ATM deposit or a direct deposit to one's checking account), Withdrawal, Transfer In, Transfer Out, Auto Debit (for example, a utility company automatically debiting one's checking account for a monthly utility bill), and Bill Pay (using a bank's bill-pay service to pay bills rather than writing a check for this purpose).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Open numerous GnuCash files at once in tabs

Currently, I have a situation where personal and company transactions inter-relate (e.g. dividend payments, loans). Personal and Company files are completely separate and cannot be linked (there is another suggestion in thsi regard!).

How about providing for numerous Gnucash files to be open at the same time, with toggling using tabs at the top at the page. That makes it easier to enter the corresponding transactions in both files.

Currenlty, it is possible to open concurrent versions of GnuCash, but that is less userfriendly.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. While open the GNU cash main window there should be a option to select the account. Like a drop down list to select the file.

While open the GNU cash main window(not open the account directly ) there should be a option to select the account. Like a drop down list to select the file.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add support for multiple-step Income Statements

I have fully described the need in https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=765375.

I could add that I have found a workaround for representing taxes in a way that allows me to choose whether my income statement shows net income and net taxes with payroll tax deduced from both, or gross income and gross taxes with no sign of payroll tax in the report. I do this by first accumulating payroll tax as negative income, then adding special year-end transactions, and finally choosing whether to do case sensitive filtering or not when I run the Income Statement report. This method, however, does not scale…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Macros

We need a simple macro facility. For example, I have international transactions. The process of calculating exchange rates and so forth is very straightforward, but tedious. I currently use a calculator. How cooler to have a simple macro facility? Click a button and just have it happen. It's not rocket science, just 1.61xX kind of stuff

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. crowdfunding for new features

on this site implement an " I would pay for this " vote button and see if some features are enough in demand to set up a crowdfunding page that would enable funds to pay for the work required

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add Price Editor batch import for currencies

In my country Nicaragua, the central bank publish the exchange rate between USD and NIO, so we can get the value of 1 USD in NIOs with anticipation,

I was trying to use the Online Price Retrival, but it use yahoo fincances, the yahoo finances does not have choice of change to NIO currency.

I was thinking that it could be useful to import several exchange rate of multiple currencies at same time, using a csv file.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Provide for automatic correction when amounts are recorded incorrectly as debits or credits.

Whenever a transaction is recorded in the "Action" box as a particular type, such as "Charge" or "Credit" on a credit card account, program GnuCash so that the amount of the charge or credit must be placed in the correct column. For example, whenever an entry is for a charge to a credit card account, do not allow the amount of the charge to be incorrectly entered in the "Debit" column.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. A/Payable Shows red amounts on some transactions

Recently payable account shows a red minus value after a payment? Searched for ever to find why all other transactions are normal.
    By total accident discovered that if auto number invoice is used, then its normal.
    Adding an invoice number makes a red entry.
    The solution, make sure the payables account has the same invoice number for recording and paying, by default it does not add the invoice number on one entry, add it manually and balances show normal then.
    Perhaps add a tip somewhere on this in help file or cause gnucash to copy custom invoice numbers on debits…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Change default invoice report to a user-created custom one

When creating/editing/viewing an invoice, one can easily click the "printer button" so a report about the invoice is generated, in a format that can be sent to customers.

However, the default report isn't exactly beautiful and readable, so I created a custom report and saved the template. This way, I can send better invoices to my customers. Unfortunately, I have to open my custom report, search for the invoice and, finally, generate the result I want.

That got me thinking: it would be so more practical if I could choose the default template or custom report to be used by…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Request

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base