Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

455 results found

1. Display description of the split in Basic Ledger view

There is no easy way to edit transactions for the account if they are split. Let's say my transaction is:

Shop
    - apple (account Food:Fruits)
    - orange (account Food:Fruits)
    - juice (account Food:Drinks)

When I switch to account Food:Fruits and use Transactional Journal, I can see item from account Drinks. If I switch to Basic Ledger it looks better - there are only two lines related to fruits. Unfortunately, only transaction title is displayed for them, so both lines are titled Shop.

I understand that displaying transaction title and split description for Basic Ledger is quite a big change (in…

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Merge several transactions into a single split transaction (and the other way around)

Sometimes you initially expect several transactions from/to the same payee. For example, you expect the monthly rent payment from a tenant, (which may be you have entered as a scheduled transaction) but in month M he/she also has to pay for some yearly tax (which, again, may exist as a separate scheduled transaction). But he/she decides to make a single bank transfer for the total. In such cases, it would be very convenient to have the possibility to select the two transactions and merge them into a single one so that the list of transactions in the bank account remains…

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Lazy report/chart generation during startup

When one does not close report/chart tabs before exit, next start up all reports/charts are regenerated during the startup. It dramatically slows down startup.

I suggest to implement lazy report/chart generation. Meaning the report/chart is calculated when it needs to be displayed, so during startup only if it is selected tab or later when user switch to the tab with report/chart.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. bank account for invoice printing

I use gnucash 2.2.9 for multiple companies.

There is no way to include bank account details for customers to make a direct deposit. I can't modify templates or invoice scheme files to include a hard coded bank account as I process many companies with different bank accounts.

I have hacked the report to get the payment bank account from the web site url field in File Properties.

Can we get a formal primary bank account field for payments and maybe some user data fields for each set of books.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. High DPI Support

It would be great if GnuCash would support high DPI screens. For example, my 13.3" laptop has a screen resolution of 3200x1800 and several elements of GnuCash's UI are close to invisible. This is a significant issue for many users, especially as screen DPIs continue to climb.

Gnome applications (I run Gnome shell on wayland) appear to scale very well. This gives me hope that high DPI issues in GnuCash can be addressed easily.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Find and Replace

The ability to find and replace values in the various fields would be quite useful in multiple scenarios.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. allow the user to set the zoom level or font size.

I'd simply like to be able to increase the font size of the GnuCash display much like a browser does. I can't always find my reading glasses and changing the screen resolution is not the best workaround when I have multiple apps open such as a browser window when I'm checking my records against my bank's online statement or working through paperless statements and receipts.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. renaming rules or list

When importing transactions in QFX format, create renaming rules that, once created, automatically change the payee name to a "friendly name" of your choosing, so that when "CITY, ST, 9999, WAL-SAMS Wal Su" comes in, it is always recognized in imported simply as "Walmart"

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Create a Full Payroll system

need to organize the payroll so that it will be able to separate all the payroll basses on persons name without making a separate account for each p

erson and will automatically have fields for each of the tax sections that would be taken out that can be user defined like state tax1/2 local tax social security federal tax medicare tax unemployment taxes, 401k Deductions and other stuff like that

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. implement EU based VAT reports, including EU reverse charge and means for it.

EU is getting bigger and bigger. VAT reports are obligation of any VAT registered business. Small differences are from country to country, but VAT reports are really required. One has to implement the means or methods of preparation for such VAT reports and the VAT report itself, including the EU reverse charge report.

Implementing the recognition of countries is important. If the company is within EU, there shall be an automatic distinction between the EU companies outside of the local country and local country companies and non-EU companies, as that is required in VAT reports.

INTRASTAT as well.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add timesheet function

Add a process to record time spent on project and include/export that time to an invoice.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Preserve Audit Trail: Option to disable modifying or editing reconciled transactions.

A journal entry should not be changed once it is written. One is supposed to write a correcting entry. This shows the error and the correction clearly. When journals were done by hand with ink pens one could be confident that one had a true record but with digital programs that is not the case. I know most programs allow you to go back, but that damages the audit trail. I'm suggesting a option to disable editing of entered and or reconciled transactions. Additionally one could have an option to show what entries had been changed. Finally one could have…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. make invoices much more flexible.

The default invoices look ugly and can't be customized to meet the requirements in Germany. So I suggest that you revamp the whole templating system to create reports and invoice in a much more flexible way.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Create a report to show all unpaid invoices

I know its possible to get this data with the Find Invoice function, but that doesn't show the amount due, nor can I export the search results in any way other than by taking a screenshot. It would really be helpful.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Export Invoices to LaTeX

Add the ability to export the data from an invoice as LaTeX data which can be modified and run through LaTeX. Some users have created scripts to automate this process, but are out of date and cumbersome.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Job report & Expense on job

I would like to see a report that could show the income and expenses for any specific job. Another thing I like to see is an easy way to enter "job expenses". If you just add a job selection dropdown list box, while entering expenses, that would be so nice and easy.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. implement standing orders via HBCI

Standing Orders (German: Daueraufträge) are not supported by GnuCash at the moment. But the underling libary AqBanking has support for it. It would be nice to have this feature in GnuCash.
    See Bugtracker for reference and more information: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=642123

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Have notes appear on the same line as the transaction

This is not my idea but azalea4va 's.
    I just want to place it for a vote.

Currently there is the option to have Transaction Notes appear as a second line on the transaction.
    azalea4va seems to have created already the code to place the notes on the transaction line next to the description.
    This is an option that I would welcome in GNUCASH.
    And it would not mean that the existing placement of the Notes should go away for the people that wish it.

Maybe azalea4va could provide an option that the notes can be placed
    on a new…

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Permit the start and end of an accounting period to be specified as a particular day in the month, or as a particular date within the year

Pay day for many people does not fall on the last day of the month; it would therefore be helpful when producing reports for the start and end dates to use the "pay month".

Also here in the UK, the financial year (for income tax purposes) ends on the 5th April, so the ability to specify the accounting period as running from 6th April one year through to 5th April the following year would be a benefit to those of us who have to provide income tax data to HMRC.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow csv import of historical quotes

Ever since the online quotes support ended, update stock prices has become a tedious process. The user must go through the gui, find each stock and enter each price one at a time.

Yahoo and others allow users to export stock information to a .csv file. Provide a mechanism to allow users to import stock prices from a .csv file. Perhaps something similar to how users can now import transaction data from .csv.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Request