Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

458 results found

1. Better budgeting (based on managerial accounting)

Budgeting in GnuCash is as big, yet as essential, a project as GnuCash in the first place. Please see my rant below.

We must not confuse planning for the future and recording transactions.

GnuCash’s greatest strength is that it is built on sound accounting principles. While financial accounting is all about recording transactions that occurred in the past. Managerial accounting is all about forecasting the future. What our best estimates of future Income; Expenses; Assets; Liabilities and Equity. These forecast are then used to answer questions. One of the most critical questions being “Will I have the cash to pay…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Report option to report the MF/Stocks transaction with lot details.

Currently the Advanced Portfolio Reports / Transaction Reports for Mutual Funds / Stocks report only the consolidated gain loss per MF/ Stock. Given the tax structure in various countries, it would be benefecial to have the lot details as well. Eg in India, the taxation changes with the duration of holding the fund as well as the type of fund. Reporting the lot details will enable easy tax calculation in a spreasheet.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Use a GTK theme for OSX

Right now GnuCash is very ugly on OSX. Mostly becuase their is no gtk theme on OSX.

Like wireshark would be nice if GnuCash build was using the new Adwaita default theme: http://balintreczey.hu/blog/beautiful-wireshark-on-os-x-using-homebrew-and-gtk3quartz/

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add / change keyboard shortcut for productivity, into standard like MS Excel or alike

It would be nice to add or change current keyboard shortcut to any existing software, so user feel no difference when switching from one software to another.

For example, using Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn to switch between tabs. This has been used by MS Excel, or browser like Firefox or Chrome. In GNUCash, we use Ctrl+Alt+PgUp/PgDn, which differ in one key (Alt).

Another example in Excel, Ctrl+Home to go to top row / earliest transaction.

I guess this additional feature can give more values for user experience and productivity to GNUCash .

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Enable user selection of lots sold

Only the FIFO method of lot selection is presently implemented. Enabling users to specify lots to be sold would allow other methods such as LIFO to be used as well as enabling users to deal with tax issues such as holding period rules for capital gains and minimizing or maximized realized gains or losses for given investment transactions.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add an option for alternate register background colors by account type

Add an option under Edit > Preferences > Register > Graphics to use different register background colors for each of the top account types, i.e. for assets, liabilities, income, expense and possibly equity. Colors might be selected from the Pantone color chart or other non-proprietary chart. Colors should be selected to be visibly different even to persons who are color blind. This is intended to be a program option, not to be confused with the existing Use System Theme Colors option or the very obscure Style Sheet feature.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Copy File Attachment To Permanent, GNUCash Location

Currently, you can attach a file to a transaction. However, I would expect GNUCash to "take in" that file, rather than simply store a pointer to the file's current location.

It would be better if GNUCash would copy the file into its own Attachments folder which would preferably be a hidden folder.

Here is my use case:

I download an invoice from a website with the intention of attaching it. I open up GNUCash, find the transaction, and attach the PDF from its current folder, 'Downloads'.

Regularly, I cull my 'Downloads' folder as it is not meant to be a…

39 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. spanish install dont have bussines accounts

please add bussines account for the spanish version

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Scheduled Transactions

Banks, most anyway, post interest at the end of the month. If you set up a scheduled transaction for the last day of the month and use the program during the day, it tries to create the transaction before you know the interest amount. If you schedule for the 1st of the month, you have change the posting date each time. You should allow the transaction to be created the day after and automatically back dated to the last day of the month. Basically, you allow create in advance, why not create in "arrears".

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Reconcile screen

automatically highlite the next transaction when you use the space bar to mark a transaction as cleared

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. add historical cash flow bar chart

I would really like a barchart like the income/expense chart that shows my money in/out and net flow.

The reason I need this is that GnuCash correctly views my mortgage payments as reducing the liability and not as an expense.
    So instead of accessing the profit and loss report for a particular month to get a detailed view of my money flow I now use the cash flow report for a particular month.

This works like a charm, but I would like to graphically see the trends in my money flows. Before I used the income/expense barchart with the net…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Enable import CSV from HTTP

Enabling CSV or XML import through HTTP protocol, would be possible to create systems that could synchronize transactions data between web apps (mobile or website) and GnuCash.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Financial year

In preferences:accounting period, add option "financial year" as standard options
    Start of financial year in Australia is:1st Jul or NZ 01/04 and I think UK 5th April

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. More professional looking splash screen

I am aware that this does not affect functionality, but the splash screen looks just plain fugly and amateurish. Interestingly, there is a blog post of a guy who designed a more pleasing splash screen, and claims that this would be included in the next release, but that was seven years ago! (http://tynan.com/hardcore-personal-finance) And is still not included.

That guy's splash screen suggestion is here: http://old.tynan.com/images/beforeandafter.png

However even that splash screen can be improved, by removing the "Gnu". I am aware it's the mascot of GNU but it just looks silly!

Why not have a cool, professional looking…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Entering relative dates in report customization

It would be very helpful if it were possible to enter relative date coordinates. For example, I would like to customize an expense barchart that shows me the expenses, in day-resolution, of the last seven days. There is no way to articulate something like "the last seven days".

There are some limited relative date entry options like "Start of this months", "Start of previous months"... why not make this more general? I.e. "X days before today", "X days after today".

"Today" meaning: the day when the report is run.

This would allow for much flexibility in customizing reports, which can…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Listing and entering transactions with ascending date from bottom to top

In GnuCash, transactions are listed from top to bottom with ascending date, i.e. new transactions are always entered at the bottom of an account.

By idea/request is to optionally have it the other way around, i.e. it should be possible to enter new trasactions at the top of the list of an account, and have the new entries above the older entries.

Reason: all other tables I use for my finances (bank and credit card statements, etc) have the newest transaction always added on top of the list. This is in Japan. And in the long run it drives me…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. The way taxes are shown on business invoices.

In printing business invoices the item includes tax but the total does not. It should be the other way around.

this is an example of how it should be done (or at least how it is done in the US).
    item, quantity, price, tax, total
    shoes| 1| $40| $2.64| $42.64

this is an example of how it is now
    item, quantity, price, tax, total
    shoes| 1| $42.64| $2.64| $40.00

I'm not sure why the invoicing is done this way but my feeling is it probably has something to do with the difference between US and European taxing systems.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Ability to define and use constants in GnuCash

Every credit card sale I make, a percentage of it goes to the credit card company as a fee.

If I could call something like ${MasterCard} and that would give me the value 0.0133, that would be great, because I'd be able to multiply the value by the fee.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow for multiple companies (subsidiaries), and for consolidated accounting

This is a variation of another user's suggestion, except it does not address variable reporting periods among the various companies. I believe this is therefore a simpler feature case.

The user creates a single chart of accounts, but for each transaction, create an additional column of data: the company.

Then, for reports, have a check box which presents: a) all transactions, b) only transactions for company 'n'. For example, if the user creates 2 companies, three reports are possible, "Company 1", "Company 2", and a consolidated report.

Post a transaction which impacts retained earnings?: the company column value would carry…

42 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Request