Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

457 results found

1. Provide a tool for disallowing unwanted quickfill transactions

Please write a tool that shows all the entries that are in the quickfill database, with an option (perhaps a checkbox) for each to bar it from use by quickfill if the user chooses. Restoring the option (unchecking the checkbox) would allow it to by used again by quickfill.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. 5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Allow for accumulating split transactions involving multiple charges to the same account

I'd like for there to be an option to allow for accumulating split transactions containing multiple charges to the same account into a single transaction, rather than displaying as many transactions as there are splits pertaining to that given account. The Transaction Journal view does this by default.

For instance, I often purchase more than one thing at a time from Amazon. In these instances, I find it more convenient (and logical) to record that purchase as a single split transaction (with one split per item) rather than many regular transactions, especially in cases when I had to expend a…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Make budget amounts bubble up to parent accounts

Assume the following hierarchy:

Expenses:Groceries:Food
    Expenses:Groceries:Non-Food
    Expenses:Personal:Hobbies:Music
    Expenses:Personal:Hobbies:Sports
    Expenses:Personal:Entertainment

Currently, if I set Expenses:Personal:Hobbies:Sports to $30.00 for the month of January, that's all that shows up. I would like that $30.00 to bubble up and fill or add to the total for Expenses:Personal:Hobbies, Expenses:Personal and Expenses. That way, if I know I only make $1000 per month, I can make sure that I don't overbudget, or that if I do, I'm at least aware of it. In the above example, I might manually enter the following for january:

Expenses:Personal:Hobbies:Sports - $30.00
    Expenses:Personal:Hobbies:Music - $50.00
    Expenses:Groceries:Food - $150.00
    Expenses:Personal:Entertainment - $30.00

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Report Option: Selecting Accounts

The common report option to select accounts should use checkboxes rather than highlighting.

The list is (for most users) rather long and scrolling is common. Between trying to select / deselect accounts and scrolling it happenes ever so often, one clicks somewhere and has now only one account selected where before there as a handpicked list...

Checkboxes just make selection easier. Also, depending on GUI, toggling checkboxes can also be done with several at once, so this feature is not lost due to the proposed change.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add custom step size option to reports

Many of my bills and my income happen only every two months... it would be great to actually be able to have custom step sizes in the Report Options, I guess this shouldn't be overly complicated to implement... thanks!

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add a "Remarks" header in Scheduled Transaction editor

Just a plain text field that allows me to add some comments to the scheduled transaction. I have to open the transaction to see when it's going to end. With the new field I can just type say, "Monthly loan payment to XXX, ends in June"

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. More professional looking splash screen

I am aware that this does not affect functionality, but the splash screen looks just plain fugly and amateurish. Interestingly, there is a blog post of a guy who designed a more pleasing splash screen, and claims that this would be included in the next release, but that was seven years ago! (http://tynan.com/hardcore-personal-finance) And is still not included.

That guy's splash screen suggestion is here: http://old.tynan.com/images/beforeandafter.png

However even that splash screen can be improved, by removing the "Gnu". I am aware it's the mascot of GNU but it just looks silly!

Why not have a cool, professional looking…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Account page columns for multiple previous periods

On the accounts page, I'd like an available column for not just Total (period), but Total (previous period). Ideally, I'd set up an Accounts tab with columns for Total (current period), Total (n-1), Total (n-2), using the Accounts page as a more dynamic version of a cash flow report.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add memo field to 1-line view

As landscape monitors have become much more common, it would be nice if GnuCash would use some of that extra space. It would be nice to have the option to include the Memo field in the 1-line view.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow for transaction delays

The idea here would be to use an account for funds in flight, allowing you to account for the delays between financial institutions.

You would go into the Transfer Funds menu and it would have a tick mark for "delay". When this is ticked, another option called "Date Received" appears. If it has a different date, GnuCash would create TWO transactions. One which goes from accountfrom to Limbo, and another which goes from Limbo to accountto.

Ideally these transactions would be linked such that a change in the amount or description would also reflect in the other accounts.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Cash Flow Statement based on GAAP (USA) and/or IFRS (international) standards

I was trying to find if someone has requested Cash Flow Statement based on GAAP (USA) and/or IFRS (international) standards to be implemented in GnuCash, but only found such requests from the GnuCash users mailing list, not from the feature request database. On the mailing list, unfortunately, the responses revealed that the GnuCash team is not familiar with the concept, although it has long history and is a well established accounting discipline.

So I decided to make an attempt to describe the idea instead of just referring to external resources (but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_flow_statement really is a good source to begin with).

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add View Option: "Double Line (Selected Only)"

As an intermediate option between single-line view (benefit: see more transactions on a page) and double-line view (benefit: see more detailed information per transaction), offer Double Line (Selected Only), which displays only the selected transaction in double-line view. All other transactions remain in single-line view.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Make "Notes" more useful in a register by showing that one exists

In a register, in single line view, there is no indication of whether a particular row has a note that would appear in double line view. Suggestion is to show a small flag of some sort (maybe a little red triangle, a red N, or something similar) to indicate that the row has a note. Then, to be really spiffy, hovering over the row could show the note in a tooltip. (Woot!)

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Improved CSV import matcher, based on key words (like ledger account number)

With the proprietary web based accounting software 'e-boekhouden.nl' (and probably others), you can make specific rules into what ledger an entry from an imported bank account has to be placed.

For instance, I can tell the import matcher to automatically put a payment with the number 4010 into the ledger with number 4010.
    Or filter on specific words: 'Contribution' goes to the ledger '8100 Contributions'. And so on.

With this approach, I have almost 100% certainty that a payment is associated with the right ledger.

With GnuCash (version 4.13) many payments go to the wrong ledger. Especially with a large…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. search

If I perform a search for widgets in the memo or other field I may get many transactions returned with multiple entries. I would like to see the search term results highlighted in each entry and maybe the ability to toggle the display of only those results.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. mean variance optimizer

it would be useful to have a MVO somehow integrated for portfolio analysis.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. link any transaction to "the other party"

There are legal requirements to trace back who is the recepient or sender of any payment (not just invoices) with all the identification details (address, IDs...).

To rely on the "Description" filed is not sufficient (can't enter all the identification detail and isn't good for searchig).

I woud need to search for all transactions with a party disregarding it's an invoice, cash receipt or an other form of transaction (lets say off-setting payables).

So, I would suggest not to distinguish "vendors", "customers" and "employees" - and rather use table "parties" for all of them.

Then you could relate invoices (both,…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Use tax lots to dump details for US Schedule D

It seems like this is already on the Gnucash developers' radar, but I thought I would add it here as well because it could be a very useful feature.

In the United States, we have to report capital gains on individual tax returns every year --- the gain is reported (and tax paid) when the asset is sold. The tax return includes the item, quantity, purchase price, and sales revenue. Since Gnucash is already tracking lots of identical items (e.g., stocks), it should be possible to gather enough information to automatically generate the information for this tax return -- which…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Request