Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

457 results found

1. enable sorting of transactions in Register, based on whether or not they've been cleared/reconciled

If there's a list of transactions in a register in which many are not cleared, many are cleared, and many are fully-reconciled, it's a bit difficult to spot the y's, n's, and c's. It would be great if there was some sort of conditional formatting that would apply different colors or "fill shades" to y's, c's and n's, or possibly to the whole transaction.

If not, then it would still be good to have a way to sort the "RL" column so that all the y's are grouped together, all the n's are grouped, and all the c's are grouped.…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Sort top level accounts as Assets, Liabilities, Equity, Income, Expense, No-Top-Level.

Traditional accounting sorts accounts in the order shown in my subject line. The Capital accounts, Assets, Liabilities and Equity sort at the top, in that order, and the income and expense accounts follow. This division supports the idea that income and expense close into capital at the end of the fiscal year.

I go nuts looking for Liabilities since it's at the bottom.

This sort order should appear in the accounts tab, the parent account field in the new account/edit account dialog, the transfer-account dropdown in the register, in import allocation, and anywhere else that the chart of accounts appears.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. make it easier to save setup so that session looks the same on different machines

I use gnucash on two different computers. It would be nice that when I open the same file (at different times of course) on the two machines the settings transfer with the file. Things like scheduled transactions, which items are opened (like an invoice), colors, etc.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. create an option to define what type of commodity prices are being imported.

Once a week I download the week ending prices of all the stocks that I have owned to a csv file. Almost all of them import well. 2 do not. Those two are COP and ADP, because GnuCash assumes both are currencies.

i.e.
    My CSV file has Conoco Phillips (COP) price and GnuCash assigns the value to Columbian Peso (COP)

I would like an option to say that all of the imported prices are stocks, or to ignore currencies. Maybe a pop-up window asking what the individual price is associated with when there are multiple commodities with the same ticker.…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Constant Accounting Evidence

A constant accounting evidenze about scheduled transaction, like in MS Money.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow a zero share investment transaction

Some investments pay out part of your capital with your dividends. This reduces the book value (not necessarily the market value) without changing the number of shares. A way is needed to enter this change in gnucash

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add item count in the split

Another improvement which could simplify GnuCash usage is item count in the transaction. When I am buing N items of the same kind in a single transaction I can create N splits (which is not very convenient) or use one split and lost possibility of price tracking.

Things are even more complicated when I want to track price of petrol for example. The only way to do this is to create Petrol account ('currency' of this account is litre) and transfer from Cash through Petrol to Expenses.

Probably this 'special account' approach is the only one that fits double entry…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow adjustment of tax amount on invoice to match vendor invoice

When entering invoices, the "Tax" at the bottom of the invoice may not match the vendor's sales tax amount. I have to create an additional entry to a suspense account to get it to calculate correctly. Some vendors appear to calculate the sales tax on an item by item basis while other subtotal the taxable items and then calculate the sales tax.

It would be nice to have an option that allows for an adjustment to the sales tax computation in the invoice to match the amount on the vendor's invoice without having to add another line to the invoice.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Save all screen positions

When I click on the "reconcile" link, a window opens up centered between my two system screens. I drag it to the "active" window and close it. Next time I open the "reconcile" window the position is not remembered.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add an e-mail invoice button to the invoice screen, which opens with the default mail client

Add an e-mail invoice button to the invoice screen, which opens with the default mail client with the e-mail address of the customer filled in and the invoice attached.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Clearing

Clearing

Clearing is more than just checking an account balance. It is another way of grouping
    existing split bookings of different transactions. This is very similar to clear
    invoices against payments; which would be covered by this more general approach as well.

In gnucash two or more splits are grouped to one transaction.
    That transaction has a timestamp when it has happened.
    Clearing means to group splits of different transactions into a "clearing group".
    This "clearing group" has no timestamp.
    It just helps to find splits which are not yet "cleared".

To achieve this, each split needs one additional column:

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Use a separate window for transaction edits

Use a separate window for transaction edits that is visually different from the transaction register. It could have all the existing navigation shortcuts or not, but it should be designed to clarify the differences from the register view caused by the need for the 'extra' account to complete double entry information, which defaults, of course, to the current account. Since the default account could be shown in a separate box, it would not be in the way when a new split line is added. When splits are created, extra boxes or lines appear for the additional number, action, memo, amount…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Better budget navigation

Allow the user to scroll each cell in the budget screen using the navigation keys(left, right, up, down). Also, provide the user with the option of going to the next cell to the right or down after updating the cell. Right now, I click on each I want to update which can be tedious. Thanks!

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. multicurrency transaction reports

Target: Foreign Business Travel Reporting

Suggestion: Add an "other account amount" check-box to the display tab in the transaction report settings. This provides a column in which amounts from foreign cash accounts are displayed directly without recalculation, and includes 3 letter or currency symbol with the amount.

For International Business Travelers.

Foreign business expense reports need to include:
    The foreign cost, exchange rate, and local currency equivalent, and the submitted receipts need to match amounts reported.

This in turn displays an additional column displaying actual amounts reported from foreign currency accounts ( with the 3 letter currency / symbol

Currently,…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Restore default behaviour of ‘Delete’ key in text edit fields

When editing a text field (such as the inline-edit of an account description, in the chart of accounts), please keep the default behaviour of all text editing keys.

Currently the ‘Delete’ key does not behave as expected while editing the account name: it behaves like a request to delete the account entirely, and aborts the editing of the name.

This should instead have the default behaviour for ‘Delete’ while editing text: delete the character following the cursor, and continue editing.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Ability to enter price/cost in transaction

I have:
    description: Food store;
    note: Milk, 2L;
    spend: $16. (as price × count).

I want:
    description: Food store;
    note: Milk;
    price: $8; (for one litre)
    count: 2; (Litre)
    spend: $16. (as price × count).

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add 'Notes' field to 'New Job' form

I often have a long description of my job and use the 'Job Name' field of 'New Job' form to store it, as this is the only text field available. I'd like to have a 'Notes' field in this form like in other forms, e.g.: new Customer, Vendor, Invoice or Bill.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Ability to define and use constants in GnuCash

Every credit card sale I make, a percentage of it goes to the credit card company as a fee.

If I could call something like ${MasterCard} and that would give me the value 0.0133, that would be great, because I'd be able to multiply the value by the fee.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Scheduled Transactions

Banks, most anyway, post interest at the end of the month. If you set up a scheduled transaction for the last day of the month and use the program during the day, it tries to create the transaction before you know the interest amount. If you schedule for the 1st of the month, you have change the posting date each time. You should allow the transaction to be created the day after and automatically back dated to the last day of the month. Basically, you allow create in advance, why not create in "arrears".

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Request