Skip to content

Feature Request

Welcome to the GnuCash “New Feature Request” forum.

Please review/search the existing requests before posting a new request.

88 results found

1. Line up the 'Debit' and 'Credit' headings with the columns in the Trial Balance report

In the Trial Balance report the headers, saying 'Debit' and 'Credit' are not in line with the value columns, despite all combinations of settings. Could it be fixed or an option given to allow you to place the text boxes into the correct position

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. create

when creating your account, you also create subaccounts Car maintenance, distance traveled, insurance, stamps where I come created many records that store the operating costs of the vehicle, all in function of the transaction fuel.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your request. However gnucash is an accounting package, not a vehicle expense tracking system. The features you are asking for are too specific for a generic accounting package. Sorry about that.

3. Print Search Results

When I use the Find feature from the Edit drop down menu to list a specific transaction that occurs more than once in one of my Accounts, I would like to print those results. The only way you can print is when you use one of the reports from the Report drop down menu.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your suggestion. This is however already possible: after you have searched for your transactions, select the Account Report from the reports menu. This will display your search results in a printable format.

4. add a payroll module

It would complete the Gnucash system if it were to incorporate a fully customizeable payroll module. Possibly the people at Treshna Enterprises would allow you to work with their Paymaster software. It appears they had started a complete and open payroll software in Linux that any country could customize to fit their payroll system. I believe this approach would be well suited to the Gnuscash open philosophy!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Perhaps the people at Treshna Enterprises could make their payroll model pass aggregate transactions to GnuCash. GnuCash is a basic accounting program for home and small business, not an all-in-one business solution.

5. Add non-monetary accounts to track things like headcount and other items related to running the business.

Add non-monetary accounts to track things like headcount and other items related to running the business.

Lot's of times, non-monetary things are more important in running a business than strictly dollars and cents accounts. Adding this feature will make the GnuCash system more of a management tool in addition to its accounting capabilities.

Taking this another step, being able to automatically make scheduled transactions and other transaction entries based on the non-monetary amounts would be even better.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Would like to have a note field for a transaction.

Currently there is a description which I use to enter who the transaction is for or where its from. I start typing the description and it autopopulates with the last time that description was entered. It would be nice to have a note field, that does not autopopulate, so you could say Description is Amazon.com and note is "birthday present for so and so". This may be able to be combined with the other suggestion for attaching scanned receipts.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. easy to use forum on gnucash.org

I'd like a single place, on the home website, where I can go to talk directly to other gnucash users and developers. Why not put a forum in at forums.gnucash.org?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Because we have a long-established and very active community on our mailing lists.
    Establishing a web forum would mean two places; making the web forum the “single place” would mean shutting down those long-established and active mailing lists.

If you prefer a web-forum format to email, try Nabble (http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/)

8. Analytical accounts

I would love to get analytical accounting within gnucash : it would be that way possible to account for transactions in their right account, but group them in custom reports, by analytical group.

Example :
    - Restaurants bills go in restaurant account.
    - Restaurants bills related to a big trip abroad (let's say "Australia") would be in this same account, but with an analytical classification as "Australia".
    - a report on "Australia" would give that expense.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow transactions to be scheduled for a multiple of weeks.

I have transactions that occur in 3 week and 8 week intervals and I would love to be able to schedule them that way.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow adding notes and comments to graphs

Able to comment why there are certain trends in graphs. This way you will be able to understand historic trends why suddenly there was an increase/decrease in cashflow for example.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your request.

Unfortunately this is outside the scope of gnucash. GnuCash is not meant to permanently save a report in. It will only allow you to generate reports based on the data available.

If you wish to add notes or comment, I suggest you export your reports to html (or pdf even) and add these notes and comments via an external program, such as Excel, Libreoffice or Adobe Acrobat.

11. Reports export protection

Many times we need to exchange files with accountants / auditors especially if they are not in house. For that the report export to HTML is a good option ... but if we can export the report to PDF with a password protection then it would be even great ... no need for any encryption ... GNUCASH can provide export to PDF option with password protection as this is a built in feature of PDF ...

I know that GNUCASH developers do not want to focus on SECURITY but this is a feature request and security is built in facility…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m afraid your use case is not general enough to be implemented in our software. There is HTML export and PDF export, but your idea to have that exported file added with a password protection will not be solved within our software. Sorry.

12. add version control to binaries so Secunia PSI can track against the latest version

Secunia PSI tracks version control to insure the latest version of each software package is at the latest version to prevent security risks by using older software

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have no inclination to start to research about some additional external software we know nothing about. Either someone (e.g. you) provides the necessary technical information on what we need to do, or simply nothing will happen in that direction.

13. 'Install Online Price Retrieval for GnuCash' gives many errors when tried on a Windows 10 PC. Don't know where else to report a problem!

'Install Online Price Retrieval for GnuCash' gives many errors when tried on a Windows 10 PC. Don't know where else to report a problem!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Provide a "Notes" or "Memo" box for each "Description" on a split transaction.

For people who use the "Description" box to record the place (for example, the store, business, or bank) where the transaction occurred, a "Memo" or "Notes" box for each split would be useful for describing, in particular, what that part of the transaction was for.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I believe this feature is already available in GnuCash.
    Each split has a memo field that can be used the add more details. This field becomes visible in split view.
    In addition each transaction also has a notes field for adding extra details. This field becomes visible in double-line mode.

15. Support Armenian currency

Hello,

My name is Ruben.

Currently I am considering using GNU Cash for doing accounting in an Armenian IT company. Unfortunately Armenian currency is not supported in GNU Cash and therefore I can't go ahead with considering functionality/usability of your SW.

Looking forward to any idea comment.

Thanks,
    Ruben

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As far as I can see, the Armenian Dram (AMD) is supported in GnuCash. I can select it from the list of available currencies when creating a new account for example. If it is not available on your system, then there is a problem with your specific installation and this becomes a support question instead of a feature request.

In that case please contact the gnucash-user@gnucash.org mailing list to sort out the issue on your computer (see http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more info on that mailing list) . But please do specify there which version of GnuCash you are using and on what operating system.

Thank you.

16. fortnightly frequency for scheduled transactions

allow frequency of fortnightly for scheduled transactions. For example,
    days 1, 15, 29, and the next date would be the following month 14 days after the 29th of this month.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your idea. I’m happy to inform you this is already possible though:

Choose Frequency “Weekly” and then select “Every 2 weeks”.

Choose 1 as your start date. The next iterations will be on the days you mentioned.

17. Add the possibility to assign an account a start value at a later date and not at creation

Add the possibility to assign the start value also at a later date after creation of an account.

I'd like to be able to start adding entries without last years ledger to be closed. For the opening balance I need the possiblity to add the start value at a later time.

Either add the functionality to the account settings or create an account which is neutral and not calculated for balancing.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Avoid security problems

Fix GnuCash to avoid the following problem with F-Secure. I scanned the PC on 2012.01.25 and got my report... Included was this portion pertains to GnuCash 2.4.9

"Result: 2 malware found
    Suspicious:W32/Malware!Gemini (Suspected infection)

C:\Program Files\gnucash\bin\ofxdump.exe
    C:\Program Files\gnucash\bin\sqlite3.exe"

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a problem of F-Secure, but not of gnucash. We have secured our way of obtaining those executables (to my knowledge). There is nothing to do for us here.

19. Add a further option of a "4 Weekly" time frame in Schedule Transactions

It appears that Banks are again being sneaky and making a requisit that a large deposit be made into an account every 4 Weeks as opposed to Monthly. This is requirement to obtain a better interest rate but will default to a poor rate if the regular deposit is not made in a particular month. As you can see - at some stage there will be a month without a valid deposit and therefore interest on the whole of that account will be forfeit or at a poorer rate.

This feature may save the loss of interest - Make the…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Android tablet version?

I am currently trying out GNU Cash on my Macbook Pro and am very impressed.
    It would be nice to sync data with my iPhone.
    Also, how about a version for my Android tablet?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?