I suggest you ...

Prevent accidental changes by locking a fiscal period

One problem with Gnucash is that a user may accidentally change a transaction in a previous month or year. For example, it is possible to delete a transaction that should not be deleted. Also, if a user enters the wrong date in a new transaction (e.g. when typing the date, the year is wrongly entered) the transaction will enter the register in a previous period, but the user may not know where it went. Thus the accounts could be in error due to an accidentally deleted transaction or incorrectly entered transaction.

In my experience training people to use Gnucash in the non-profit sector this has frequently happened.

SUGGESTED SOLUTION:
Add a feature where the entries in a month may be locked and password protected. Thus, after the data-entry clerk enters all the transactions for a month into Gnucash, the finance manager locks all the transactions with a password unknown to the data-entry clerk.

The lock would not prevent reports from being generated or data from being viewed, it would only prevent data from being changed in the locked period.

If subsequently, transactions in a previous month need to changed, the finance manager's password will be needed to unlock that month.

Such a lock could prevent both accidental changes to the accounts in a previous period and intentional attempts to manipulate the accounts to the data entry clerk's personal advantage.

96 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nila AkashNila Akash shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is essential. It is very easy to make a change to an entry from years back or enter the transaction in a wrong date and you have to go through years of data to find out if you can.

• Will PalmerWill Palmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After a single typo last-night, I now need to go through all my accounts for the year, line-by-line, and compare with printed records. This feature is absolutely essential.

• James PangJames Pang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Accidents do happen: '7th August 2001' as 7/8/01 and '8th July 2010' as 8/7/10... Hahaha... that came to my mind after reading it... Yup, this definitely could make a difference. Good job

Feedback and Knowledge Base