I suggest you ...

CSV and Other Import

Currently the CSV (and other like QIF) import dialog is very strict and gives NO facility for MAPPING of accounts to CSV columns etc.
No info on whether to put last column in csv as expenses:Office_Expenses or only Office_Expenses? and then whether gnucash is configured to show
only last of account names or fully qualified names. I tried BOTH combinations, still gnucash Fails EVERYTIME to map accounts.
behaviour I saw was - it maps ALL the entries to one account ( like all csv rows to Office_Expenses !!!)

Then - in last import dialog, we get mapped (or imbalance) accounts which are always distorted
and then I have to keep double clicking EACH row !!! to map it to particular a/c.
I can't even tell gnucash to repeat same for other rows !!!

So first item would be to have

A. Proper and EASY dialogs in Import Wizards

B. It should also allow - while mapping - as debit or credit columns corresponding to accounts

C. Import should be able to read FIRST line of csv file as Column-Headers and use it in mapping

38 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SandeepSandeep shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JonathanJonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a big problem in my view. I want to be able to use a Python script to quickly clean up the transaction file I get from my bank, and then import that file to Gnucash. However, because I can't add the destination account programmatically, this save much less time than it could.

• Jakub NarębskiJakub Narębski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it should be possible to *both* design some column as having name of "category" (destination account) and category to destination account mapping like for QIF import.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The key thing for me is the ability for the CSV being imported to contain a column that specifies the destination account in the "Transfer" column, and for GNU Cash to use this instead of prompting for this information.

• SandeepSandeep commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If needed I can explain problems encounterd by me in more detail...but in general the CSV Import looks very bad as compared to whole other product i.e. GNU Cash.

Feedback and Knowledge Base