I suggest you ...

Change minimum vertical resolution to work on netbooks (1024x600)

The GnuCash window can not be resized below about 700 pixels high, which does not fit within the space available on a netbook 1024x600 screen minus Gnome panels. Even autohiding panels doesn't allow a full view.
Were the restriction removed, the register window would seem to work fine, although the edit scheduled transactions dialogue may be a bit cramped.

38 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    James DerrickJames Derrick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tommy TrussellTommy Trussell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe 1024x600 covers many of the netbooks on the market nowadays, so that would be a good short-term goal.

Long term it might be nice to consider what interface elements might need to be adjusted for touch interfaces (iPad, Android, and similar) so the resolution might be greater or smaller than a netbook screen and/or multiple/changeable orientation, and how to handle options and data entry for non-precise ("fat-fingered") selections. I will enter that as a separate feature request.

• cstimAdmincstim (Core Developer, GnuCash) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As you wrote in https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=549860 , the issue isn't caused by the data file or the main gnucash window itself, but by opening the "scheduled transaction editor" window. (Or, as with https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=404451 , by a long ticker symbol in the summary bar.) This is a completely valid feature request and this should be fixed.

• James DerrickJames Derrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After a look in GnuCash Bugzilla, I'm updating Bug 549860 (Minimum window size is too big to fit on UMPC screens) as the issue seems to be related to the data file loaded, rather than GnuCash itself.

The typical use case for me would be updating a GnuCash file usually held on a desktop PC (e.g. res 1920x1280) on a netbook PC with a much smaller screen (e.g. res 1024x600).

Note- my initial report was mistaken, my Samsung N150 and Acer netbooks have a vertical res of 600, with a usable res with Gnome of 1024x550 (measured by maximising GnuCash, then measuring a screen shot).

Best regards,

Feedback and Knowledge Base