I suggest you ...

Better Budgeting

Corresponding bugzilla item: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=700802

Budgeting system similar to YNAB, "You Need A Budget". It needs to carry forward over/under spent on budget category from month to month. I cannot use GNUCASH's budget system.

130 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AlanAlan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David SchmittDavid Schmitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've discovered that newly registered users cannot add new pages to the Gnucash wiki for the first week. Once that restriction expires I'll attempt to document my budget approach.

Regarding the Dutch bank transactions: Manfred, are you saying that they don't provide QFX/OFX downloads?

• Manfred de JongManfred de Jong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear David,
        I'd love to hear your approach!
        The second problem for me as a Dutch user is the fact that I cannot directly import from my bank website. I need to download, convert with a very old perl script that gives incomplete results and then import and clean up. That is so not helping...

• David SchmittDavid Schmitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have had excellent success using GNUCash as-is for zero-balance budgetting with a virtual envelope type system (similar to YNAB I believe). I would certainly be willing to document my approach and the one or two limitations I encountered.

• GeneGene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that GNUCash needs a lot of work to become a good program for budgeting.
        I can't speak for YNAB since I have never used it but if it works on the envelope system I am all for it. I recommend looking at the idea that Alan put forward as one good solution to the problem. I don't know how to link to the page but here is the address...
        https://gnucash.uservoice.com/forums/101223-feature-request/suggestions/2828200-add-include-subaccounts-checkbox-when-getting-on

• RickRick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, one weekpoint of gnucash is it's budget - it's barely there. My thanks to those who have worked on it but it does need a lot of help. Carry overs, repeating amounts, summaries - at least a year summary would be nice and make it usable. Right now I use the budget report for actuals but keep my budget in an openoffice (Libreoffice) spreadsheet.

• YeOldHinnerkYeOldHinnerk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The idea of carrying forward the budget should really be just a reporting option. It shouln't be that difficult to implement. Well, who am I talking, never having looked at the code of GNUCASH at all...?

• YeOldHinnerkYeOldHinnerk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While someone is at it: It should be possible to somehow copy one months' budget to the next month - or did I somehow overlook such a feature? Having to enter each months' budget manually is stone-age technology :)

• he_the_greathe_the_great commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't claim I'll be able to produce results, but anything that I do will be a long time coming as I'm just starting to read the code base. If I get as far as I'd like to, automatic transactions would be accounted for in the budget, and since these don't have to be auto-entered will at least suffice for any custom system. This is something I want badly so hopefully I won't get discouraged.

• eMBeeeMBee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

one problem i have with budgeting is that i can only enter the total for an account. if for example i want to budget a weekly visit to the movies then i need to add up the cost of the ticket times the people in the family times the weeks in the month.

if one of those variables changes, i have to recalculate the total all over again.

improving this could be as simple as allowing to enter a formula. just like you can enter it in a transaction: 10*4*3

• he_the_greathe_the_great commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've only used MS Money and GnuCash so far and both appear to have the same budgeting focus, monthly. YNAB looks to have that same focus but much closer to what I think needs to happen. Budgeting for categories. Months don't matter, only when money is needed for bills and what income is like. I'm going to see if I can get down and dirty with the code, but anything I do will be modeled after 50-30-20 from "All Your Worth."

• Manfred de JongManfred de Jong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From my user perspective the tool is half baked without a budged option. I know that there are many caveats and forms of budgeting, but just choose one sort and implement that in total. Better something then nothing.

• alexalex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

really needs normal budgeting tool. Existing budgeting is almost a joke... not usable at all

Feedback and Knowledge Base